Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the first mod on the 55 will be to replace the primary CATs with something which flows better. Delete the secondaries and possibly the resonator. If there is no gain from deleting the resonator I will keep it, if there is a gain other than sound then I will put in the X pipe. Questions to the guys I have been reading about.

What size CAT do you recommend I replace my primaries with. From what I have seen here 2.5" in and out will work. What would the bullet size be?

What cell do you believe I could get away with? I have heard people still passing with as low as 200 cell. I would love to go to a 100 cell if I could.

Would there be any HP gain by replacing the resonator...from what I have seen here, NO there is only sound....figured it would not hurt to ask again ...

MP

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,151 Posts
Check my ecu tune and header thread in my sig block

but if you want hp gain, get either an ecu tune - 25 hp
or some headers 25 hp

replacing cats will get you a cel if not done correctly or mb standards. (just my thoughts)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, You are probably right. I do not want a check engine light by any means.

The secondary CATs must go for sure though. I just cannot decide if I wan to go the X pipe route or not.

I checked your thread out.... Your car is Outstanding!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,151 Posts
Thanks! I am really proud of how it came out. I have straight pipes but my friend Maniac (mentioned in that burnout link) got the X pipe. I really could not tell a sound difference.

Check my albums for more ideas on mods :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've gone from stock to a set of Eurocharged short tube headers, deleted the resonator and installed a Magnaflow X Pipe.

First the ECU tune was done, got a nice bump in power thru the band that you could feel, then the car needed to sound better so the Res Delete / X Pipe happened. No actual HP gain from this just a beautiful bump in the sound quality

Then Eurocharged were having a sale so went ahead with the headers, definite bump up in power and amazing sound quality now, its low at low RPH and nice and growly at WOT.

Eurocharged had to retune the ECU for the headers which really made a big difference.

Now its faster, meaner sounding, an lot lest thirstier as well. and was not over the top expensive to do.

I cant remove cats as it wont pass inspection here , keep the primaries and drop the secondary if you wish.

I'd recommend

Green Filters
ECU Tune
Headers X Pipe.

Will transform your car

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,722 Posts
Hi All

@ lil AMG go with the a Xpipe its the only way & better for a V8 . You can keep all the Cats or just remove the rear two depends how loud you want the car to be .

Cheers

Ansdy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts