Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked my (new to me) 06 SLK55 up on Tuesday. SO far I have enjoyed top down driving just about everywhere I go.

Here are some of my first Impressions:
things I dislike:
1. cupholders are pretty cheesy. now I understand its a sports car and as such you dont really "need" a place to put your drink, however as this car is my daily driver I really enjoy a cup of coffee on the way to work in the morning. I have a cup that fits pretty good, but with the superb cornering of the AMG I find I keep reaching for the cup as it seems like it going to fly out of the holder :)

2. Sirius Radio seriously SUCKS! - I dont mean the programming per se but the actual data stream... I have had XM in my last 2 cars, and my wifes. Im not sure if XM has a larger buffer that is stored on board or what, but I have noticed with the Sirius Radio in the 55, even a little tree cover will cause the signal to drop... it comes right back in but how annoying is trying to JAM out with the top down only to have it skip play mid song... hopefully as XM and Sirius have merged something will change in the future, (has anyone else had this issue?)

3. Can't operate the vario roof as slow speeds, ie pulling into a driveway, or rolling up to a traffic light.... this will be remedied with a roof module, I understand why its this way, just an annoying thing :)

4. the Seat adjustments are horrible, the system tries to help too much, I want to move up and recline it decides it should move a different way. after playing with it for a few minutes, I got a position I liked and put it in memory!

THINGS I DO LIKE!
1. its an AMG!
2. its beautiful!
3. the Air Scarf is Awesome on cold nights or chilly mornings.
4. the seats hug you just like a sportscar should feel!
5. the boot is large enough for my laptop bag and my rescue gear. (was worried coming from H2)
6. the braking and power are so well balanced (of course it should be :p) I was on the highway and an empty box blew out of a truck, I was able to brake in time to avoid it, safely change lanes and accelerate out of the other cars way all within a split second.

Overall I am quite please with my new toy! the gripes I have are not really issues and some can be fixed pretty easily. thanks again to all the great people on this forum. I guess now that I "joined the SLK club" i need to join SLKworld. so I just got a GOLD subscription!

-J

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,395 Posts
Thank you for your support J.

You'll be smiling a lot when you have the roof module installed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Congratulations on your new toy!:Beer: I too got a 06 55 just few months and has been enjoying it since. I just received the Smart top roof module this week and is looking forward to install it over the weekend.

Other popular mods that you should consider are:

R170 Antenna (first mod I did)
Green Filters (changed last weekend)
Clear side marker (next month or so )

Best of luck and enjoy your ride!!:tu:

P.S. Pictures!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Congratulations on the new car...can't wait to see some pic's..The roof module is a must...last weekend I took my wife to dinner (top down of course) and it was very convienent (not to mention cool) to start the top close as I was pulling up to the Valet...needless to say I immediately was placed in the best spot....Enjoy!:tu:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was out and about today, even had my camera.... however when I found a good spot to take some pics, I realized I had left my compact flash card plugged in to the computer at home! so will have to work on that this weekend. it was a great day today 80s clear and sunny, perfect top down wx.

-J

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Congratulations AGAIN on the new SLK 55. Such a wonderful car. So many pluses, very few if any minuses (for me). I have the same issue with the Sirius radio, as with my wife's SLK. Doesn't happen often, not a big deal for me. I've completed the basic mods: SmartTop, green filters, clear front marker lights, modded R170 antenna, and wheels. Content for now.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
I've not had a problem with the Sirius radio. I do have one (Sirius) blind spot I drive through every day on the way home from work. I think it is from sort of interference from cell phone tower, but we drove all the way from Buffalo to Orlando and I don't remember it going out anywhere there. Almost all of the time it is fine.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Congratulations on the SLK, its a great car and you wont get bored of it quickly. Every time I drive my car at the weekends I get surprised by the handling and sheer fun of this small car, I once drove it for two days as a DD but it was good because I was used to the Cayenne and lost focus when I park which caused me to scrape the front bumper; now a days I drive it when I am relaxed and not busy so I can enjoy it in the weekends rather than having to get stuck in traffic.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Very nice photo's, the diamond silver really looks good.

·
19,395 Posts
Any plans for a modified R170 antenna?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes its on my list when I get some free time... where is the best place to purchase the antenna to modify? Dealer, junkyard, ebay?

-J

·
19,395 Posts
Yes its on my list when I get some free time... where is the best place to purchase the antenna to modify? Dealer, junkyard, ebay?

-J
I got mine from the local MB dealer, however, I got it at a good price as I have good relations with the parts people and the Asst. manager for parts.

It should be around $50 to $70. Perhaps the salesman that got you the SLK 55 can get the part for you at a better price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.