Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts
So first Dashboard error, mentioning something about the right licence plate light.
Does this mean bulb or is there another reason for it?
see if your bulb is out. if out replace it. error message will go out by itself
then be aware...
if bulb is not out or out, then there might be a break in the trunk wiring loom

let us know

·
94,921 Posts
if both bulbs are working then:

an electrical gremlin...see if it reoccurs
are the bulbs replacement leds or not?
swap bulbs side to side n see if error message switches sides also
reseat the bulbs

still occurring as we speak?
then there might be a break in the trunk wiring loom
inspect it

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
191 Posts
Just a few weeks ago, I had the same message appear. Both my bulbs were working upon inspection. The problem turned out to be a broken wire on the left trunk hinge arm. See this link to view the repair I made with before and after pictures. You can easily fix this yourself in ten to fifteen minutes. I recommend soldering in a piece of thick stranded copper wire from an old line cord or something similar. Do NOT USE solid wire, it must be stranded wire. The break will likely be just above the plastic retainer which just snaps apart once you cut the two very small zip ties. Then slice open the snakeskin with a sharp knife or razor blade. You will likely see a thick wire broken in two. You could also use a crimped in butt splice, but I would recommend soldering in a one to two inch piece of stranded copper wire as thick or thicker than what is in your car. You probably won't be able to get a piece of heatshrink in there without cutting a huge hole in the snakeskin, so just tape it up with electrical tape. The break will very likely be between the plastic retainer and the large grommet on the trunk lid. See the pictures and click on this link: What did you do to your SLK 'TODAY'?

·
94,921 Posts
:D

left trunk hinge arm = trunk wiring loom :D

·
Registered 2007 SLK55 AMG
66 Posts
Thanks for the link Michael.
The error went away yesterday but I saw it return today so not sure what to make of that.
mine does this too. it's in the wiring loom. if you start the car then open and shut the trunk I bet you will get the error. mine is easy to spot as my trunk lights turn on when opening the trunk till about halfway then they go off as my wires separate. this also sets off the dash warning light for the linen plate bulbs but when the trunk is shut all the lights work. been too lazy to fix it as its pretty easy to clear the error anytime I open the trunk while the car is running. but since I live in Washington and everything is closed for several weeks I guess I have time:rolleyes:

·
94,921 Posts
wiring loom
Wiring Loom
WIRING LOOM

:D

I even had to have mine replaced by MB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts