Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have come across this as I browsed the comand online website

I'm not really sure as to whether or not I would need upgrading the firmware.

What are the benefits of doing the upgrade and how can I find out if the car requires an firmware update?

thanks in advance

Phil
who is btw loving every minute of driving this beauty of a car :) ( done 2750 miles in the first 6 weeks of owning it ):bannana:

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi,
I have come across this as I browsed the comand online website

I'm not really sure as to whether or not I would need upgrading the firmware.

What are the benefits of doing the upgrade and how can I find out if the car requires an firmware update?

thanks in advance

Phil
who is btw loving every minute of driving this beauty of a car :) ( done 2750 miles in the first 6 weeks of owning it ):bannana:
It depends upon the age of your car and which firmware upgrades have already been applied. One of the major downsides is that somewhere down the upgrade path, the (hidden) engineering menu was disabled, so features like 'video in motion' are no longer available (not that any of us would dream of using it :) ), one of the major plus points is there are some additional features on the SatNag which drag it kicking and screaming into the 20th(!!) century (such as ETA on route guidance).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

It's a 2005 model

mentioning ETA , the satnav unit shows ETA but only when pressing on one of the soft buttons (along side the screen) and selecting Info, does that mean the latest firmware update has been applied?

Phil

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so would you suggest its worth going for the update ?

are there any other differences

And thanks for the help, it's much appreciated :)

:Beer:
Phil

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
so would you suggest its worth going for the update ?

are there any other differences

And thanks for the help, it's much appreciated :)

:Beer:
Phil
You could wander down to Kent and buy me a coffee and update your head at the same time! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is very Kind, I might take you up on the offer :)

Let me know when it is most convenient for you

and thanks

Phil

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
No problems, and I'm a sucker for Starbucks! :) I'm headed to Siberia tomorrow for 10 days - we'll pick a sunny day when I'm back..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good to me :) can't walk past starbucks without getting a yummy coffee myself,

Have a safe journey !

Phil

·
Registered
80 Posts
HI guys i to think it may be a good idea to upgrade my sat nag as it is driving me mad any ideas on getting hold of a ccd/dvd ? not sure how you upgrade it

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi waynedru78. I have just purchased version 13 for my car from Mercedes Portsmouth £150 same as from comand uk. It's dead easy to install as the instructions are there plainly to observe. I think I still need to update my comand head firmware but will need to speak to comand uk about it. It should only cost about £20.
Upgrading sat-nav of course will give you the latest mapping details and hopefully will not send you the wrong way down one-way streets. The one I replaced was 2008 (13 means 2012-2013) so I was well out with the new roads and housing estates being built.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
firmware update

did exactly that, purchased with satnav update with the firmware update from comand online

you can save yourself the £20, Wayne can forward the dvd to your address once he's done with it. pm him your details :Beer:

best
Phil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi phil

So just to clear up any confusion the cd/ dvd contains both firmware updates and map updates would i need anything else as my sat nav is still 2004 spec ?:rb

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
firmware update

Hi Wayne,

the update is for the head unit only. The sat nav updates with a newer map. As mentioned in an earlier post, the map dvd 2012 cost around £150.

do you have TMC on your 2004 version?

Btw,
dvd sent

Regards
Phil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the dvd phil it arrived yesterday i shall install today and return tomorrow.
1 question is the head unit drive situated at the back of the car or is it the cd drive on the unit itself ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post but Im looking at upgrading my firmware and/or maps disc and wondered what the benefits were or even how to check what version I currently have?

I have ETA, TMC, post code search etc all working well and earlier I tried accessing engineering menu which didn't work...so maybe I already have a later version Firware?!

Disc is V5.1 so obviously a V12 or V13 should make quite the difference, but in terms of Firmware, what updates would I benefit from?

Again not sure how to tell which NTG version I have, presuming I have an NTG1 as its SLK 04-08 R171 with HK sound.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
Telematics versions descriptions.

NTG1 = Up to Model Year 2008, W211 E, W219 CLS, R230 SL (MY05->), R171 SLK, W220 S (MY04->), W215 CL (MY04->)
NTG2 = W169 A, W245 B, W203 C (MY05->), W209 CLK (MY05->), W164 ML/GL. W251 R Class cars
NTG3 = W221 S, W216 CL (before MY2010)
NTG3.5 = W221 S, W216 CL, MY2010 onward
NTG4 = W204 C, W212 E, W207 E Coupe
NTG2.5 = Model Year 2009 and onward A, B, CLK, W211 E, CLS, ML, GL, R Class

NB. CLC changed from NTG2 to NTG2.5 part way into Model Year 2009. W209 CLK never got NTG2.5.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.