1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I lived in the Netherlands for 5 years and am married to one...they are nuts (please don't show this to my wife).

I have to honestly say that a New Year's Eve in a city in the Netherlands is something that should be on everybody's bucket list. It is impossible to describe and the closest I can get to describing it, is that it is like being in a battle zone.

Euro 68 millon was burned in fireworks last year by 15 million people. Go figure.

·
AND MABEL
13,800 Posts
I have to honestly say that a New Year's Eve in a city in the Netherlands is something that should be on everybody's bucket list. It is impossible to describe and the closest I can get to describing it, is that it is like being in a battle zone.
Amsterdam is one of my favourite cities. I lived in there back in the nineties and totally agree with New Years Eve being a crazy time. I've seen in quite a few New Years there since. Incredible atmosphere. The fire crackers have to be heard to be believed. Especially when set off in a crowded alleyway. :surprise: One year I saw a rocket shoot in a flat window, much to the horror of the 3 girls hanging out of it, then watched the multi coloured explosions and smoke that followed but luckily no fire. :surprise:

Definitely agree with adding a New Year visit to a Dutch city to the bucket list! :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Hmmm, that bonfire got out of hand because the builders didn't keep to the permit. The stack was 13 meter higher than allowed. Local authority knew about it but didn't stop it. Opinion: because they were afraid of riots if the bonfire was cancelled. The years before the bonfires local youth tore the place up as part of the festivities. Nearby parked bikes had melted tires and the firemen were busy putting out pop-up fires everywhere in town.

All you firecracker lovers, warn me when passing by and I'll make sure I'll be out and away. Animals and the environment are suffering because of this tradition in making noise. It's not even the legal stuff that makes the problems but the illegal stuff. In a small town a guy (42) was killed because he had a trailer behind his car filled with fire works set on the local square to go off sequentially. Instead it went off in a single gigantic blow up. All (double glazed) windows of the houses around the square where broken and the guy went out with a bang.

And FYI, we officially have 17.3 million people registered in NL as per 2018-12. About as much tourists that visit Amsterdam in a year. Talking about a world that's going nuts.

Yep, you've guessed it. I'm all for a ban on fireworks except by professionals. Maybe it has something to do with my history of living in a real war zone which makes some of the bangs a little to 'real'.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Have to agree with that.

While it is a huge spectacle, it is terrible for animals and, dozens of people get seriously injured every year. I loved fireworks as a kid but have to say that a ban in NL would be a good thing.

However while it is still allowed, try and see it.

·
Super Moderator
24,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was of the 'official only' view.

Now I am of the outright ban standpoint.

Leaders & influencers etc ram 'green' down our throats,
but stay ironically quiet on fireworks and the environmental impact.

If you live in a war zone, there is one way to speed up and condense the noise.
Wait for a decent bang and set an alarm off.
15 mins of hell, but a much quieter night.
Clearly, fireworks do not require a high IQ.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I was of the 'official only' view.

Now I am of the outright ban standpoint.

Leaders & influencers etc ram 'green' down our throats,
but stay ironically quiet on fireworks and the environmental impact.

If you live in a war zone, there is one way to speed up and condense the noise.
Wait for a decent bang and set an alarm off.
15 mins of hell, but a much quieter night.
Clearly, fireworks do not require a high IQ.

While banning them is well and good, somebody is going to lose out on the ~Euro 68 million spent. Government will lose on VAT ~Euro 14m.

·
Super Moderator
24,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While banning them is well and good, somebody is going to lose out on the ~Euro 68 million spent. Government will lose on VAT ~Euro 14m.
But think of the cost savings.
No need for extra responders, A&E, Exploding phone boxes, pillar boxes.
No firemen, ambulance, police, or public spending unnecessary time in A&E.
It would even save some of the idiots from themselves.
And no need for the clean up either.

Cost analysis is not easy to make out. Neither case is as simple as stated.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
But think of the cost savings.
No need for extra responders, A&E, Exploding phone boxes, pillar boxes.
No firemen, ambulance, police, or public spending unnecessary time in A&E.
It would even save some of the idiots from themselves.
And no need for the clean up either.

Cost analysis is not easy to make out. Neither case is as simple as stated.
Agree.

My point was that the incentive is not there for the govt. as it is immediate cash out of their coffers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts