Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been a member for about a year now, but mostly lurking until I could find my own SLK. I just picked up a 2005 SLK 350 "designo" edition last week and have been sorting it out.

The car needed very little, thanks to a lady owner who babied it. It was garage-kept and detailed annually. She drove it so gently that the dealership told her to push it a little harder in order to get the transmission adaptation right! Despite 65k miles, the paint is nearly perfect -- just a few tiny chips in the hood that I'm going to touch up and then cover with a clear bra. (Arizona grit is hard on windshields and low slung cars.) Interior is in very good shape as well.

Otherwise, the car needed only a set of rear tires and a side marker bulb. I'll have to put in rear brakes soon -- dealer says the fronts are 75% and the rears are 33%.

I have to say that I hesitated quite a bit when I learned of the dreaded "balance shaft" issue that seems to be affecting the M272 engine. This car's engine is in the affected serial # range. It shows no symptoms, has had regular oil changes with full synthetic, and has never displayed a Check Engine light. I called two different dealerships to ask about the issue and both service advisors I spoke to said they'd heard of it but never personally had a car come through with that issue. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the condition is fairly rare (out of 486,000 affected engines).

Just cleaned, clay bar'd, and waxed the car. It looks great. The designo package ("espresso") includes Mocca Black Metallic paint that appears black except in bright sunlight, then it has the slightly brownish appearance that you can see in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to say what the car has ...

Automatic trans
Lighting pkg (Bi-Xenon headlamps, washers, cornering lights)
designo interior
heated seats
Comfort pkg (power seats w/ memory)
P1 pkg
Sirius satellite radio
Communications pkg (kind of useless since it only works with Motorola phones)
Audio20 radio (bummer, no AUX input)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,201 Posts
Beautiful color! let the modding begin!

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
Congratulations on a nice looking car.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Congratulations !

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all of you. I am already enjoying it, even while I'm sorting out the small issues. Got some Gummi Pflege on order for the dry & squeaking seals, and a cabin air filter since I'm pretty sure the prior owner skipped that maintenance item.

If I get brave I might even remove the airbag and repaint the steering wheel control pads, since they are starting to peel. But no rush ... I've learned with "new" used cars that you need to just use them for a while before you really understand what they need.

Photo below taken at Bartlett Lake, near Phoenix AZ, on the "maiden voyage" (maiden included).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Congratulations...your patience has been justly rewarded! It's a beauty to be sure; would love to see the interior - love designo interiors. Well done on the maiden as well! We hope you both enjoy it!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Congrats - nice looking car. That's two coffee coloured ones here now - Alroumi has a Designo Mocha, but in all of his pics, it just looks black.

·
Premium Member 1999 slk230-sold
14,917 Posts
Congrats, an old Lady that odered an Espresso/ Mocha Brown Designo is classy has style and rocks. Hell i would go and take her out for Dinner. LOL Awesome looking car enjoy the ride. Maybe the old Lady had a secret like drifting since the rear brakes are down in the 30 ish. You just never know. Remember not all old Ladys fly a broom some prefer an Slk in an awesome color.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts