Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year and eight months or so of fighting dealers, finally got my bespoke SLC 43 today. Had to drive 100+ miles to find a willing dealer. Here tiz, looks like all the rest. Note the mirror-colored body! :)

Nice drive home. Seems quieter than my noisy 2012 350, nice. Distance Pilot works better too. Run-in is 1000 miles, so didn't dog it out. Straight road with lots of traffic so no fun.

I didn't seem to get my $500 MBCA discount. The F&I Man said it was rolled in to the "AutoNation Savings" line, but that's not the way it's supposed to work. Told him he had me, tired of fighting it, just keep it. I'll be sure to let everyone know what they did. I'll take it up with MBCA and MB tomorrow. Went back to the salesman, said, "That's my money, I have to make something." Best bet is not to mention it until all is settled, then spring it. Two friends did that and got $500 off the bottom line. I'll advise how it turns out.

Time to get the manual out!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,078 Posts
Enjoy your beautiful new SLC43!

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Such a shame it doesn’t have cornering lights....

😉
I pleasantly sit corrected. It DOES have cornering lights. Not quite up to the side-mounted 350 lights, but help quite a bit. Even in the manual. Last night I pulled up in front of a store window but couldn't see where the light comes from. Must be integrated into the main lights somehow.

The headlights are not what I expected. I have normal night vision loss for my age and was really counting on that. The 350 put two light spots WAY out there right in the tire tracks. Don't see that now. Better light to the side, though. Gonna read and play more and find out why the high beams don't come on manually. So far, in auto mode, they don't come on in the same place my other car does. There's an extra "A" next to the headlight symbol that's not in the manual. More research is needed, as they say, will follow up.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I pleasantly sit corrected. It DOES have cornering lights. Not quite up to the side-mounted 350 lights, but help quite a bit. Even in the manual. Last night I pulled up in front of a store window but couldn't see where the light comes from. Must be integrated into the main lights somehow.

The headlights are not what I expected. I have normal night vision loss for my age and was really counting on that. The 350 put two light spots WAY out there right in the tire tracks. Don't see that now. Better light to the side, though. Gonna read and play more and find out why the high beams don't come on manually. So far, in auto mode, they don't come on in the same place my other car does. There's an extra "A" next to the headlight symbol that's not in the manual. More research is needed, as they say, will follow up.
I agree, both SWMBO and I agree that the xenons on the old 55 were significantly brighter than the LEDs on the 43. In every other respect except noise though, we feel the 43 is the better car. But I was expecting more from the headlamps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The light problem is partially software - in auto mode mine won't switch to high beam or let me set them to high beam unless I'm travelling fast enough (approx 35 mph), which isn't much use on narrow twisty country roads when I want to warn oncoming traffic before reaching a sharp bend. Also, my SLC main beams were set far too high on delivery, illuminating the tops of trees in the far distance and getting me flashed a lot by oncoming drivers; fortunately they are easy to adjust using a cross-head screwdriver through the larger hole in each plastic panel just above the light unit - I've turned my adjusters a full 1 and a half turns (anticlockwise) on each side to lower the beam but it still needs more.

The cornering function seems OK but not as good as on my wife's Skoda Yeti, where the HID bulb units actually rotate sideways, but using the headlights manually rather than on automatic at night works fine and they are really bright.

I do find that the intelligent system is too slow to react. It takes a second or so to dip when a car appears suddenly round a bend, by which time I've been flashed (sometimes twice!) and it doesn't put high beam back on for a couple of seconds after passing the oncoming car - which can be quite dangerous because of the sharp cut off on the dipped beam.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, both SWMBO and I agree that the xenons on the old 55 were significantly brighter than the LEDs on the 43. In every other respect except noise though, we feel the 43 is the better car. But I was expecting more from the headlamps.
Yeah, after all the MB hype, I as expecting night would be turned into day. Gonna try a dark long road maybe tonight and see'f the high beams come on. As stated, they don't come on where my other car does in a short stretch near my house.

I DID find a workaround last night: switch from Auto to LB/HB Headlamps (one click CW) and it's like days of yore - full control of high beams.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do find that the intelligent system is too slow to react. It takes a second or so to dip when a car appears suddenly round a bend, by which time I've been flashed (sometimes twice!) and it doesn't put high beam back on for a couple of seconds after passing the oncoming car - which can be quite dangerous because of the sharp cut off on the dipped beam.
Haven't been able to get auto brights yet, gonna try a REALLY dark road later. As stated, my Lincoln MKT does go high beam even near a street light that may be fooling the SLC. The Lincoln's auto high beam is almost flawless - can't outthink it. Reacts faster than I can both off and on. Set and forget. No cornering lights, but excellent side lighting (better than the 350) makes them largely unnecessary.

There's always driving lights. Put them on my 1974 Dino 246GTS and it WAS like day. I wouldn't mess up my SLC that way, though. If things get that bad, I should stop driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Haven't been able to get auto brights yet, gonna try a REALLY dark road later. As stated, my Lincoln MKT does go high beam even near a street light that may be fooling the SLC. The Lincoln's auto high beam is almost flawless - can't outthink it. Reacts faster than I can both off and on. Set and forget. No cornering lights, but excellent side lighting (better than the 350) makes them largely unnecessary.
I've had the same experience with my Lincoln MKS the auto brights are awesome.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made a midnight run last night. High beams seem to be working OK, just a little slow turning off as Gnomeface says (slow turn-on doesn't matter much). I slowed down to Lincoln speed on that last dark turn to my house, and that gave them time to come on in the same place. So they work pretty much the same. Calling it good!

Now I have to get that 1000 miles in so I can let 'er rip. Long blast Saturday late but doesn't add up very fast. :(

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
The cornering function seems OK but not as good as on my wife's Skoda Yeti, where the HID bulb units actually rotate sideways, but using the headlights manually rather than on automatic at night works fine and they are really bright.

I have a Skoda Yeti with Xenons and cornering lights, the Xenons are brighter than my Halogens on the SLC.
I'm not completely convinced about headlights that point around corners though, they are slightly advantageous but not worth over £1000 extra.
They also strike me as a complicated item that will go wrong once the cars out of warranty.:surprise:

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,367 Posts
After a year and eight months or so of fighting dealers, finally got my bespoke SLC 43 today. Had to drive 100+ miles to find a willing dealer. Here tiz, looks like all the rest. Note the mirror-colored body! :)

Nice drive home. Seems quieter than my noisy 2012 350, nice. Distance Pilot works better too. Run-in is 1000 miles, so didn't dog it out. Straight road with lots of traffic so no fun.

Time to get the manual out!
Glad to here You've finally got hold of the keys to Your SLC43...!!
Do like the Color Coded Door Mirrors, Grey Multi Spoke Alloy wheels & the lack of "Night Pack" :tu:
Does look good in Diamond Silver - Be good to see some pictures when parked out on a sunny day?

Hmmm - My night vision is no longer as good as it use to be, so disappointed to here that the SLC LED head lights are not as good as the R172 Xenons...
Our Dog Mobil Nissan has LED Head lights & they are very bright dipped or main beam & turn with the steering:
Though rubbish on "Auto": Slow to dip & slow to return to main beam....

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to here You've finally got hold of the keys to Your SLC43...!!
Do like the Color Coded Door Mirrors, Grey Multi Spoke Alloy wheels & the lack of "Night Pack" :tu:
Does look good in Diamond Silver - Be good to see some pictures when parked out on a sunny day?

Working on pictures. I have a good spot. Rain and small hail today. :(

The wheels seem darker than I thought they'd be, but they're OK. "Multispoke titanium." Round, at least.

Hmmm - My night vision is no longer as good as it use to be, so disappointed to here that the SLC LED head lights are not as good as the R172 Xenons...
Our Dog Mobil Nissan has LED Head lights & they are very bright dipped or main beam & turn with the steering:
Though rubbish on "Auto": Slow to dip & slow to return to main beam....
I wouldn't say worse than the 350, except for those hot spots. Now that it's gone, can't compare. However, had The Mighty Lincoln out last night and its lights seem to have dimmed somewhat. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts