Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just wanted to give you all an update on this since I had asked about it before in a different post.

After searching the internet for an R172 compatible diamond grille and coming up empty handed, I ended up buying one for a w205 and took it to a custom car shop. They are fitting it to my existing grille buy cutting out the interior portion and replacing it with the new one. They said they'll have it done in about two more days but they're taking their time because they only have one shot to get it right. It appears that it won't be perfect in the corners but once the grille is reinstalled I doubt anyone will be able to tell.

I would like to paint the gray trim that goes around the chrome black but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it (I'm open to any suggestions), I've considered plasti dip but it's never a dark black or shiny and polished looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
You're almost doing what I'm doing. I've bought a second grill to cut the star out and replace with the honeycomb structure, I ehhh 'dislike' bling. One more problem though: I've got two parking sensors in the grill. Will post pictures later on.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're almost doing what I'm doing. I've bought a second grill to cut the star out and replace with the honeycomb structure, I ehhh 'dislike' bling. One more problem though: I've got two parking sensors in the grill. Will post pictures later on.

So you're removing the star completely?

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Yes, and the horizontal bars. Since there is ugly plastic fittings underneath I'm also doing the OEM honeycomb structure and replace the complete interior of the grill frame.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and the horizontal bars. Since there is ugly plastic fittings underneath I'm also doing the OEM honeycomb structure and replace the complete interior of the grill frame.

Make sure you post some pics because I'd definitely like to see the finished product!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,438 Posts
I'll be interested to the final results from both of your projects. Roland don't you have Distronic? If so how are you going about losing the star?

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I'll be interested to the final results from both of your projects. Roland don't you have Distronic? If so how are you going about losing the star?
Yes, Distronic is there. The radar is bolted to the frame where the radiator is sitting so that's not the problem. I was looking at the older S class where it has a smoke plastic square in the middle of the radiator if it needs it. Obviously the smoke plastic would be BEHIND the honeycomb structure, but I'm not sure its needed. I'll try it without first (gluing it in can always be done later).

Second pic in this review: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-benz/s-class

Time frame: well consdiring that I've got this grill standing around for about three weeks and the work up to now took 3-4 hours of heavy dremelling, I would say at least a couple of weeks more!

The whole bumper needs to come off. Not something for out in the street (no garage), and I will need a lift to get to the bottom bolts. It'll be done togehter with masking the bumper in black (other thread).

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
No way it will fit a R171. There is an angle in the R171. The R172 is vertical. The fixture is completely different, the R172 is a flat disc with hooks in the rear that are twisted into place. There is however the star from the non-DTR version that can be removed from its fixture that has more chances to fit. It's just the chrome three pointed plastic once removed from its fixture. I'll see if I can measure it up so you measure your designated place.

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
Trust me - they area different fit...

Very similar to look at, but the lugs are in different positions and the centre of the R171 star is raised slightly more ...

Been there and checked all that when I did the Illumination project....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The place that's doing my grille is taking forever (almost 3 weeks smh). But now they're just waiting for the epoxy to cure and then they'll paint the grey part around the chrome black. So it should be ready sometime this week. Here's an updated pic:

It's kind of hard to see the chrome diamonds in the pic because of the lighting and ground behind it but it looks great in person.

I'm also having this bar painted so you don't see it through the grille.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here's the finished grille, I'm really happy with the results. It's too bad nobody makes one for the R172 because I had to go through a lot to have this done. Overall I'm really happy with it though and it looks factory, I just need to buy a bumper cover for the sports package.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you! It took 3 long weeks (which is entirely too long imo), but I'm really pleased with the results. And it's kinda cool to know that I probably have the only SLK with a diamond grille lol

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
17,962 Posts
Looking good. And it does look factory. Better to have the job take a few weeks and look good than to have it look like it is just slapped together and get it back sooner.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts