Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the nutty comments ensue, let me just say that I know as much about wheels as I do types of headlights [you see where this disclaimer is going right? great! onto the questions lol]...

So I am on the never ending search for the perfect rim for the car. Now that I have my lights in, and the fogs and grille changed out. I am in LOVE with the chunky metal rims especially the black and red ones. So I find these and sent a customer inquiry about the cap in the middle. I ask if the center cap can be removed and replaced with the MB cap and this is the reply that I got:

"Thank you for your enquiry with Wheelbase. The caps can be removed and the logo's can also be peeled of and replaced with Mercedes style one. however we do supply the Mercedes logos"

So what he's saying is, it's just a sticker or a decal? Of course I don't want a decal on the wheels. Which leads me to my next question. Are the center wheel cap sizes universal or?

Attachments

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Simple answer, NO. Not all center caps are the same size and chances are good that an OEM MB Cap will not fit these wheels. Sometimes however, depending on the difference, they can be made to work with a little bit of ingenuity and time.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Most of those cheap ebay wheels just have a metallic decal over a blank center cap. I'm more surprised they have a wheel that fits the SLK! Anyway, there are sellers of center caps that are machined to fit different cars, but the problem is that on many wheels, the bearing caps stick out too far for fancy center caps.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I have whiz wheels and MB centre caps but at least one the stars is coming off so maybe that is what the previous owner did to mine.

I do like those wheels chick but I would anguish every time I took it to 'tyres r us' that they would treat them like steel rims with their equipment

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eddy,

This is what I got back from him:
the badge diameter is approx 63mm in Diameter

So that would be the cap size I need correct??? If I went with those wheels. And to further the issue, I would have to obtain the cap size of any center wheel I was interested in purchasing if I wanted the real MB caps in them instead of the decal correct?

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Standard M-B center caps on 320 are 75mm. I believe some AMG wheels may have 56mm caps, but I think most M-B wheels have standard 75mm ones.
Agreed.
I got a nice set of chrome over alloy caps from this eBay seller, and they fitted straight into my AMG wheels, to give a nice clean sparkly look.
If I could avoid it, I would not want stickers, but I don't think there is too much room for manoeuvre with after-market wheels. It can be hard enough to get the right boss diameter, hole radius, offset, size that fits the arches, reasonable tyre prices, etc without adding the limitation for the hub cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.