Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a sign of a faulty SmartTop?

A member came by yesterday from San Diego to have the SmartTop v.3.xx installed. The install was routine usiing OEM fuseholder; the InstallAid LED blinked 1 per second, and the roof operated fine the first time. A few moments later, roof error message came up on the MFD and the InstallAid LED was not flashing. LED remained off even aftur turning key to position 1 or 2.

Connections were rechecked, removed the ground connection and LED lighted 1 per second. Roof operated fine again using remote key, but after that, the module stopped working and the LED light was off again. It seems like something in the module turning off afte the first complete cycle -- close and then retract the roof.

SmartTop was removed and I tried supplying external power using a 12V DC source, the LED flashed once and then remained off.

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

The SmartTop was removed and the I asked the member to email Stefan at mods4cars or maybe get an exchange from SLKstore. I've asked him to return anytime for another attempt at SmartTop install, at least he knows the steps involved.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
The last time anything like this happened, it turned out to be a faulty power connection, causing the unit to reset on a regular basis. In your case Eddy, that would not account for the fact that it has the same symptoms whilst on external power, unless it's a problem with a connection on the little terminal block that joins the SmartTop module to it's wiring. BTW, have you been able to upgrade/re-load new firmware on it?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a unit bought from SLKstore. I presume it has the latest firmware. The vehicle is a 2006 black SLK55.

I was fairly certain of the ground and +12V DC connection. I even removed and reattached the connection block (with all the black and red CANBUS wires, ground and red power cable) to the SmartTop twice and cannot see any reason for looseness. It would work for one cycle and then go kaput. The owner is a computer science student so I think he'll update the firmware and wait for word (via e-mail) from mods4cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.