Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check out this SLK230 and when doing my OBDII test these faults came up, I'm not really mechanically inclined, but with the help of youtube I can fix most things, should I bother buying this car or should I run the other direction and keep looking?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I'd say at least a MAF and maybe plugs depending on service history.

Reactions: jimithing60089

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Even if you are a diy'er.. how much time do you have? It seems to me the car is lacking service [clearly] and it's not these particular issues I would be worried about, rather the other parts the errors affect. Are you getting the car for a bargain? Usually if it's too good to be true, it really is.

Flipside
A cheap diy project car with stunning results once the kinks get worked out.

Do you have a piggy bank saved for a rainy day in case you run into something that requires major work?

Food for thought

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year is it? How does the rest of the car look and drive.
Its a 98 slk230 with 106k miles, the car looks gorgeous, haven't seen many with the interior this well preserved, the car drives and handles great. The only thing I can see is the fabric from the roof is hanging, so I'd have to figure out how to fix that. The car is $5,000.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
The roof fabric can either be reglued or replace the whole unit, dealer charges around $400. Since its a pre facelift model they tend to have PSE and K40 problems. I would do some research on both and then have a good hard look at both items.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
The only thing I can see is the fabric from the roof is hanging, so I'd have to figure out how to fix that.
If the 'fabric from the roof is hanging', the chances are that the seals on the hydraulic cylinders for the roof mechanism need replacing. Not 'difficult' per se, but 'involved'!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The roof fabric can either be reglued or replace the whole unit, dealer charges around $400. Since its a pre facelift model they tend to have PSE and K40 problems. I would do some research on both and then have a good hard look at both items.
Do you know of a how to page with pictures or video on how to reglue the roof fabric?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Do you know of a how to page with pictures or video on how to reglue the roof fabric?
If the seals have gone (which is more than likely by the sound of it) the fabric and the base will be impregnated with hydraulic oil. It will need replacing, as you will never get glue to stick to it. You can often pick up a new headlining from a breakers yard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of glue to glue the fabric on the top back?

What kind of glue do you guys suggest using to glue the fabric thats hanging from the roof of the car?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,378 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,420 Posts
You should replace the fabric when doing the repair. The headliner fabric has a foam backing. It is the foam backing that has good bad that causes the material to drop. Just gluing the old material you will not get a good smooth clean headliner. For not more material that you need it is not that costly. Check Ebay for headliner material.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
If the asking price is $5000 and you know of all of these issues, then you should be able to get the price reduced by the amount of the repairs needed. If you showed the owner the fault codes, then that alone could be a very good bargaining ship. Are there any service records at all?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.