Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just about to make the MOT appointment... But then....

During driving, after 10 minutes, the error "Speedtronic drive to workshop" and "ESP malfunction! Visit workshop!" came up (together with short loss of power, failing of cruise control and limp mode). After some hours of being turned off, the car will drive with no errors and no limp mode. And then, after 10 minutes, the same thing happens again...

We used Xentry to look at the fault codes of my SLK R171 350 from 2006.

Fault codes from the ESP control unit:
C1122 L6/3 (left rear speed sensor): Signal fault
C1112 L6/2 (right front speed sensor): Signal fault
C1102 L6/1 (left front speed sensor): Signal fault
C1707 Cruise control: consequential fault. Process first of all all the other stored fault codes

The transmission had a fault code too. I will have to look it up.

I've read that SLKs are sensitive for a bad battery (I have Bosch S5 008 77Ah 780A), and since it's really strange that almost all speed sensors fail at exactly the same time, I'm thinking these fault codes and errors can be related to a bad battery. Also, during diagnosting we were normalizing the seats and saw the voltage drop from 12.4V to 9V. I believe a healthy battery should last a bit longer without the engine running, right? Has someone experienced similar fault codes and ESP/Speedtronic error because of a bad battery as well?

Thank you very much in advance!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,726 Posts
A weak battery supplying lower than normal voltage to ecu could then cause the ecu to chuck out various fault codes at once.

Clear codes and charge battery over night and give it a good road test and then scan for codes again

Also run a starting and charging test on Xentry / Das. Plus go into active Parameters on abs ecu and select speeds sensors , carry out quick rd test to see if all 4 wheels reading the same to rule out duff sensors ect

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fault Code 0703 Crankshaft position sensor

Battery got replaced, still had the problems. Looked again with Xentry at the fault codes
Code 0703 B70 (Crankshaft Hall sensor): Check wiring of signal line and voltage. (P0335)

The previous fault codes (speed sensors en cruise control) were probably related to this one, because when we replaced the crankshaft position sensor, the car didn't show any problems! The fault codes of the speed sensors and cruise control didn't came back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts