Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through the posts I've often come across the statement 'Are there any fault codes showing?'

I have not come across a fault code reader to plug into the SLK are there any available or are some members equiped with Mercedes Software so that they are able to plug the laptop into the motor?

If so is the software freely available and at what cost?

·
Registered
659 Posts
They're available online (ebay/amazon) or (depending on your location) at the autoparts stores. They plug into a connector under the steering wheel. It's called a OBDII (OBD2). Pretty simple to use. There are several "protocols" so make sure you buy one that has all 5 (VPW, PWM, ISO, KWP 2000).
US Vehicles where OBD2 from 1996 by law, This did not apply to Europe until 2001 for Petrol Vehicles and 2004 for Diesel Vehicles, Some Manufacturers where OBD2 in Europe from 1996 on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Todd, not seen any on ebay UK though, will give it a more diligent search

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Try putting OBD2 scan tools into Google, you'll get a bunch of hits. Some devices are less expensive than others.. It's a bit of a lottery as to which parameters are actually presented on OBD, but most of the biggies are there, plus you can get the trouble codes..

http://www.ukobd.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

These links may be helpful to get you going...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know which connector fits European models pre 2001 and is the hook up still under the steering wheel I cannot locate one

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Anyone know which connector fits European models pre 2001 and is the hook up still under the steering wheel I cannot locate one
You may not have an OBD port if your car is pre-2001. Even if the SLK had one in the US, it wasn't mandated in Europe then so often not fitted.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may not have an OBD port if your car is pre-2001. Even if the SLK had one in the US, it wasn't mandated in Europe then so often not fitted.
If that be the case is there a device for reading fault codes on a pre OBD port?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Early models of MB had a 36 pin round connector. After 96 (or 97) they used the OBD2.
This is on my 99 (US) model. Should be the same on yours. It's the black connector with a cover over it.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had my 350 in yesterday getting a few "issues" attended to.....and the Star Diagnostics is probably the only way to properly get to the bottom of codes getting read/cleared etc...It was running the Xentry software.

In total, OBD connector - multiplexer- Star Diagnostics....

Plenty of stuff out there for reading codes, only one proper system to fix them....

MilesR)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
If that be the case is there a device for reading fault codes on a pre OBD port?
There will be a diagnostic socket. It could be under the bonnet though. The OBD-II standard stipulates that the diagnostic connector should be somewhere around the steerng wheel. But before OBD-II, the diagnostic socket could be anywhere, sometimes took a while to find it too.

In the UK, the OBD standard was introduced/mandated from 2001. It just started to appear IIRC in late 2000. So for cars earlier than 2001 there were a number of tools around that often needed to be adapted to suit different sockets/pinouts and data transfer protocols.

For example some diagnostic tools connected using the K-line standard. I don't know if Mercedes used this method though. (I just can't remember, sorry).

I may be wrong, but it is unlikely IMO that your UK spec R170 will have an OBD port, though checking out the bonnet release area is a very useful suggestion from Todd157k.

DanSLK is probably the best person to know about the details. I don't have access to an R170, so can't have a snoop around.

You might be able to find some old diagnostics gear on e-bay. If you can find some of the old Snap-On diagnostics systems, that may get you there.

I'll have a dig about in some of the older databases and see what I can find out some more details for you.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well according to Autodata, the diagnostic connector on your car is a round connector (38-pin) under the bonnet.

There's a thread on benzworld that might be of interest.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1461077-buying-obd-analyzer-slk-230-any.html

One of the guys there suggested one of these..
http://cgi.ebay.com/U381-LCD-Code-Scanner-OBD-2-Adapter-for-Mercedes-38P_W0QQitemZ230277829166QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item359da0d22e&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's all very useful information chaps, I shall have a route around later, doing a charity dream rides event today at teh Classic car show, NEC, Birmingham

1 - 14 of 14 Posts