Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this car, 2001 SLK230. learning about it as I go. The cooling fan wont turn on so I ran a power to it to test it and it turns on, I plugged it back in and was going over the fuses with the power on (not running) I pull fuse 11 and the fan kicked on. What are the possible issues? Also tested the fusible link with a volt meter and it seems fine.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got this car, 2001 SLK230. learning about it as I go. The cooling fan wont turn on so I ran a power to it to test it and it turns on, I plugged it back in and was going over the fuses with the power on (not running) I pull fuse 11 and the fan kicked on. What are the possible issues? Also tested the fusible link with a volt meter and it seems fine.
Update: it seems the fan is kicking on but it is only kicking on at low speeds where when I pull the fuse it kicks on high and cools the engine almost intently. This fan issue looks like it is the man over heating problem the car has. So if anyone can help me pin point the issue it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
737 Posts
Fan is PWM, if there is no signal it will run 100%. You will need to test with diagnostics as problem might be temperature sensor.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi,

101% agree with @VII7

The fan is supposed to run at gradually increasing lower speeds, very rarely runs at full speed, if it is not cooling the Engine as it should within the lower speed ranges then there is an underlying problem.

Temp Sensor is a good call, personally I always buy the housing with Stat and Sensor in it.

Proper diagnosis would be to put car on the appropriately capable diagnostic machine and look at data to correlate Temp against when (if) Fan Kicks in, and also use Actuations to test that the fan runs at all it's speeds properly, to eliminate possible ME ECU, Wiring, Fan or Fan Controller faults :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts