Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Factory Xenon HID to Halogen????

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  WoZ53 
#1 ·
I have been searching and reading dead end threads for hours, if this has been covered before PLEASE direct me to it.

I am trying to find out what is involved in converting factory HID Xenon headlights to Halogen aftermarket lights. All the available aftermarket lights say "Not for factory Xenon systems" and I have a factory xenon system and lost a headlight to a stone. I like the look of the aftermarket lights and don't much like the replacement cost of the HID Xenon system so i want to convert.

Searching for hours this is the only thread I can find and it refers to a set of Depo lights that came with matching plugs, but searching for hours on the internet I can not find them.

https://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/26434-am-i-stuck-factory-hid-xenon.html

Does anyone know of a method to change from the factory Xenon system to these after market lights that specify "not for factory xenon systems"???

#3 ·
#4 ·
I would need to see a set of R170 Zenons (haven't) but suspect the wiring and plugs are different. Also aftermarket often need to use the original turn signal socket. Many threads/options for the R170 (I have Spyders). Might look up the wiring in the WIS but pretty sure the main difference is the ballast/wiring.

As one of my experiments I tried a set of 55W Kensun HIDs in mine but the SilverStar Ultras were brighter (measured).

#5 ·
Did you not read my post? The part where I wrote "I have been searching and reading dead end threads for hours, if this has been covered before PLEASE direct me to it." and "Searching for hours this is the only thread I can find and it refers to a set of Depo lights that came with matching plugs, but searching for hours on the internet I can not find them."

Clearly I used the "search method" I even opened my post by saying so. If you had read only of the three posts you linked you would see that none of them answer the question, hence my pointing that out and asking if anyone knew the actual answer. Had I not read through over a dozen long threads only to find that none of them answered the question, then searching on the internet as a whole for some time and not finding the answer, I would not have posted the question.

Why are half the questions on this site answered with "use the search box" even though the answer is not available when using the search box? Is it just a generic answer that people use when they want to respond but don't know the answer?

What I am asking for is if anyone has done this, and if so how. I am familiar with the search function, the internet and reading, what I do not have is the wiring diagram for the xenon system in an SLK32 or a write-up by anyone who has done it other then the one thread I posted where the poster did not give an explanation, photos or diagrams and simply stated that he had done it...

#6 ·
Yes I read your post
You did not mention if you used the google method to search our site
I am not a mind reader and was just trying to assist
But I will not assist anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.