Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a thread about Merc and their practice to facelift or slighty modify models. I see it as a good business practice, they get to remain fresh without changing much and they showcase their slight upgrades. But it leaves a lot of us, older model havers, in the dust. I am used to Corvette and their 12 years of the same model, and I am quite surprised to see how often Merc refreshes their cars. As you might know I've been researching the CLS for my dad, and the difference in price from CLS500 to CLS550 is insane, way more than the depreciation from one year to the next should be. Which is good for people like me that always buy cars with 2 or 3 years. Since Merc drivers are not usually abusive to their cars or hard drivers, most of the Mercs you see out there are a good deal. But I was also wondering about the components, for instance I saw a SL55 2003 for 40 grand but could you fit the new bumper on it? I know that with the SLK can be done just by loking at it. But the SL looks like it would prove difficult if not impossible, because of the different hood. I think there's no shame in upgrading your car to make it look better or more actual, as long as you don't do it with the purpose of deceiving (like putting on AMG badges).

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
The 500 to 550 change was a substantial mechanical update. It went from an ancient engine to a brand new design with 80hp more, almost 30% more power and torque.

The 2009 SL had more change than just the bumper. Hood, fenders, lighting... not to mention the interior upgrades.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.