Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive a 1998 pre facelift R170 fitted with a wood kit from a later model but have just seen an OEM part wood eucalyptus steering wheel for sale.. the trade seller advised that the post facelift wheel wont fit an earlier car... he should know his stuff so am assuming he is correct. which is a shame. :( does anyone know if a facelift steering wheel might fit earlier car however or are the airbags and fittings different? regards kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having just swapped the interior in my pre facelift from black to red, the facelift steering wheels will fit physically, but the reason it's not a straight swap is the airbag swab (the contact ring that mates the electrical connection between wheel and car) behind the steering wheel differs from pre to post facelift.

It is easier to swap pre facelift to pre prefacelift, or post to post, but if you're adamant you want a post facelift wheel in a pre car, you would need to swap the contact rings also.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
45 Posts
Changing airbag contact ring

Hello,

Related to this, how big a work is it to swap the airbag contact ring?

For background info, I have a 1999 230 Kompressor, pre-facelift R170. Someone's replaced the original steering wheel with an aftermarket part and done it, well, shall we say, botched - the airbag cable has just been cut and a new connector soldiered in. Now I want an original wheel back but apparently need to replace the contact ring, too, to get the right cabling to the airbag (and horn buttons).

So, how hard is it to change the contact ring? And is the part number A1704600149 or something else?

Thanks for any info; will be much appreciated!

Petri

·
Registered
52 Posts
It maybe easier if you can share a couple of pics of the botched wiring and wheel?

If the original Mercedes contact ring is still on the car but someone has cut the terminals to fit an aftermarket wheel, then that is a relatively easy fix. You could either just cut and solder some original connectors back on and fit a genuine SLK wheel, or remove and replace the contact ring for a new/used one, but that might be more fiddly depending on your experience.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
45 Posts
Hi again,

Sorry, can't get any pics of the botched work at least for the time being. However, the situation is exactly as you describe, the original contact ring is there and the cables have just been cut and soldiered. I'm a bit apprehensive about soldiering genuine connectors back because it might be a bit of searching to find the connector and getting the wire order right.

The original contact ring seems to be available for around 100 EUR. However, I'm trying to assess the work required to change it. If anyone has done this, how does it work? I mean, after the wheel has been removed, will the contact ring be accessible without removing steering columnn panels etc.? Any other hints?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.