Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my car for 11 years and a lot of thinking about the procedure, I have just completed a major external facelifting, transforming the car into an SLK 55 AMG, trying not to miss a single spot. I will soon upload some pictures in another thread when it will be completed with the new 4piston amg calipers.

I want to do the same thing with my interior and I am making a list with the things I have to buy. One of the problems that I have, is changing the thermotronic unit that my car already has from the factory with the one having the black buttons (A1718301985). My question is what happens to the upper flaps on the dash, because from what I saw there are no flaps in the facelift version. Another problem is that I have the AC off button and from what I saw the facelift version comes only with an AC button. Any help with be great!

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
After having my car for 11 years and a lot of thinking about the procedure, I have just completed a major external facelifting, transforming the car into an SLK 55 AMG, trying not to miss a single spot. I will soon upload some pictures in another thread when it will be completed with the new 4piston amg calipers.

I want to do the same thing with my interior and I am making a list with the things I have to buy. One of the problems that I have, is changing the thermotronic unit that my car already has from the factory with the one having the black buttons (A1718301985). My question is what happens to the upper flaps on the dash, because from what I saw there are no flaps in the facelift version. Another problem is that I have the AC off button and from what I saw the facelift version comes only with an AC button. Any help with be great!
There are a number of thread on here on people upgrading to the digital climate control from the standard unit. The upper dash vents that have the single roller wheel is only to direct air out of vents that are under the grille. It is not clear why MB designed it that way but it is completely mechanical and is not affected by the type of control unit. If you need to swap to one that does not have the roller wheel, you should be able to find one at a dismantle yard.

I am not sure the later face lift version of the digital climate control unit will work in your early 2005 year car. I think there are more differences than just the buttons being black.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a number of thread on here on people upgrading to the digital climate control from the standard unit. The upper dash vents that have the single roller wheel is only to direct air out of vents that are under the grille. It is not clear why MB designed it that way but it is completely mechanical and is not affected by the type of control unit. If you need to swap to one that does not have the roller wheel, you should be able to find one at a dismantle yard.

I am not sure the later face lift version of the digital climate control unit will work in your early 2005 year car. I think there are more differences than just the buttons being black.
I read almost every post (that is where I found the part number for the new unit) but they were exactly what you are saying, an upgrade from the thermatic to thermotronic, I couldn't find anything about changing thermotronic to facelift thermotronic unit.

I have also read in some german sites that there are changes even between facelift thermotronic units , that is why Mercedes stopped A1718300985 and A1718302085 for the A1718301985. I have also found the part number for the upper mesh of the facelift (he one without the roller) because I buy all the parts for my car new.

The problem is what you mentioned at the end of your post, whether the new unit will work in my car correctly and if the facelift mesh allows the air to pass at the upper part of the dash, even if I will not be able to control the amount of air. I think someone who has a facelift r171 with command will to able to help us with the second question

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read almost every post (that is where I found the part number for the new unit) but they were exactly what you are saying, an upgrade from the thermatic to thermotronic, I couldn't find anything about changing thermotronic to facelift thermotronic unit.

I have also read in some german sites that there are changes even between facelift thermotronic units , that is why Mercedes stopped A1718300985 and A1718302085 for the A1718301985. I have also found the part number for the upper mesh of the facelift (he one without the roller) because I buy all the parts for my car new.

The problem is what you mentioned at the end of your post, whether the new unit will work in my car correctly and if the facelift mesh allows the air to pass at the upper part of the dash, even if I will not be able to control the amount of air. I think someone who has a facelift r171 with command will to able to help us with the second question
I wanted to write thermotronic, not command

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts

Is there any difference in appearance between the face lift mesh and the pre-face lift mesh (one's that don't have the roller wheel)? I would not be too concerned about that as the amount of air that may or may not come out of the top of the mesh is minimal. I suspect MB simply stopped using the mesh units with the roller wheel as there is little - if any, functional benefit for having it.

The bigger question is the in dash control unit. There may be someone on here that can tell whether the face lift version will work on the pre-face lift cars. I thought I had read somewhere that it has been tried and it did not work - but I am not sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any difference in appearance between the face lift mesh and the pre-face lift mesh (one's that don't have the roller wheel)? I would not be too concerned about that as the amount of air that may or may not come out of the top of the mesh is minimal. I suspect MB simply stopped using the mesh units with the roller wheel as there is little - if any, functional benefit for having it.

The bigger question is the in dash control unit. There may be someone on here that can tell whether the face lift version will work on the pre-face lift cars. I thought I had read somewhere that it has been tried and it did not work - but I am not sure.
Yes, it is kind of stupid, but the majority of the rollers and buttons that were silver in the old version are black in the new one. So the lower two rollers and the things that help you redirect the flow of air at the air vents are black instead of silver.

If the new control units will not work on my car I will have to abandon the whole plan of restyling the interior, its all or nothing. I wish there was a way of painting the old buttons, that would save me a lot of money...

Attachments

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,037 Posts
You could just strip down the climate control units and swap the buttons over - therefore having black buttons on a pre-facelift unit..

Thats one area I'd definatly look at

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
You could just strip down the climate control units and swap the buttons over - therefore having black buttons on a pre-facelift unit..

Since the buttons aren't available separately, I would look for a used control unit to harvest the buttons for the switch over.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,037 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Since the buttons aren't available separately, I would look for a used control unit to harvest the buttons for the switch over.
I was looking to buy new things for my cabin because I was the first owner of the car and I didn't want to put anything used in there. Moreover, I think it is very difficult to find a facelift version of the thermotronic online to be the donor. But this is definitely a good idea and to tell you the truth I didn't know that you can take the buttons apart. It would be even greater is there was a way to buy the buttons as separate part, or to repaint the existing buttons and let the symbols on the buttons unattached.

No problem with the flaps in the upper centre vent (if thats what you mean)

With a vent without the thumbwheel, you can no longer close them...

Facelifted on on ebay (UK) ...MERCEDES SLK 171 3.5L 2008 CENTRE DASH AIR VENTS 171 830 13 54 | eBay
So, these are always open? the problem would be if they are always closed, I don't mind them to be open.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,037 Posts
Yes .. Pretty sure the top vent will be 'always open' - there's not a large airflow through there anyway...

I leave mine open all the time.

Search the forum for button peeling .. I saw a few post about replacement button stickers for the black buttons (Comand and climate control) .. There were some links to an eBay seller who provides these ... Could be just what your looking for.

Reactions: Kostas.slk

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,037 Posts
You'll also need to add the following to your list if you want the whole facelift look ( apologies if you've already mentioned them)

Speedometer
C/S or C/S/M button (if you have an automatic) - changed to black
Upper control panel .. Also has back buttons and a chrome trim strip
Window switches & door handles
Side air vents - again, the sliders are black
Steering wheel & airbag

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes .. Pretty sure the top vent will be 'always open' - there's not a large airflow through there anyway...

I leave mine open all the time.

Search the forum for button peeling .. I saw a few post about replacement button stickers for the black buttons (Comand and climate control) .. There were some links to an eBay seller who provides these ... Could be just what your looking for.
I found some threads for the color paint of the old buttons, I will look for what you are saying, this would be great!

You'll also need to add the following to your list if you want the whole facelift look ( apologies if you've already mentioned them)

Speedometer
Steering wheel & airbag
I have inspected a facelift model and I have made a rather large list:

A1718301554 left vent with black slider
A1718301654 right vent with black slider
A1718301354 center vent with black sliders and rollers
A1716800414 new cup holder with chrome strip instead of silver
A1718702694 audio 20 (but I will probably look for a comand if I find the part number)
A1718209310 control panel with chrome strip, heated seats, airscarf
A1716801152 smocking package with chrome strip instead of silver
A1715451104 is a controller of the lighting system without the button for the headlight washers that I have, but if I install it i will not be able to use them. The new system opens the washers by itself every 10 times you use the wipers I think.

I have also find the part numbers for the performance steering wheel, the airbag and the aluminum part and controllers for the windows, I can't find the file right now. The only thing that i have not found is a part number for a european slk 55 amg instrument cluster...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Speedometer
Steering wheel & airbag
And I forgot, the biggest problem is that I have a manual gearbox, that will always tell the truth about my car :)
But I will add a black-leathered knob, along with the restyling of the leathers into the amg pattern. The dash will be also covered in leather, the texture of the plastics is totally different in my car. As long as the handles etc, they will be covered in carbon, but only what is included in the original performance package

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.