Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Has anybody tried using a facelift instrument cluster on a pre-facelift model?
I am talking for the R170 models. I noticed that the R171 ones are inter-compatible.

I am curious if the pre-facelift models have the signal wire for the gear which the car is in, that is displayed on a facelift instrument cluster, by the clock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
There's a number on the back of the cluster & this has to be replaced with the same. Most cars work the same way, so simple answer is no.

Also, using the wrong cluster may do damage that will cost you lots in the long run.

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen many people on these forums use the cluster of the FL R171 on non FL
The fact that nobody used them on the R170 may indicate that they are not compatible, or also that nobody tried it out... I couldn't find anybody saying that it works or that it doesnt, so I guess I will be the first around here, to find out...

Also, I am not a car tech, but usually, the connectors are made in that way that they can't be connected to something, unless they are compatible. So you wouldn't be able to connect an instrument cluster of say a Peugeot.
Or even of an R171, for that matter...

Just hope I won't find out the hard way, and all will be fine...

·
Registered
267 Posts
You're wrong about the connectors. I worked for a breakers & the connectors are common in most cases, keeps costs down on cluster & loom.
We always sold matching numbers, as too many came back as unuseable/broken cos the "public" knew best :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.