Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
My "friend" Gary Paffet got no seat in the Formula 1. That´s a shame for Mercedes Benz. Probably the best driver is lying on the sofa, while Mr. Hamilton is wasting fuel. Unintelligible for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can't say I'm a big fan of 'F1'. I mean...I still watch it 80% of the time. It just doesn't excite me. Half of the racers get decided on pit strategy rather than great driving. There not enough overtaking neither.

Give me Moto GP, World Superbikes and Touring Cars anyday.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Huh, I always thought "F1" was next to the "Esc" key...

...and was used to capture screen images.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Can't say I'm a big fan of 'F1'. I mean...I still watch it 80% of the time. It just doesn't excite me. Half of the racers get decided on pit strategy rather than great driving. There not enough overtaking neither.

Give me Moto GP, World Superbikes and Touring Cars anyday.
I agree, I do watch F1 when it's on, much better than NASCAR, but touring cars is what I prefer watching, it's close to what we can get and definately can make it look like that if we want.

·
Founding Member
114 Posts
while Mr. Hamilton is wasting fuel. Unintelligible for me.

How do you like Lewis Hamilton now??? To podium in your first Grand Prix is pretty damn impressive. He should have taken second place too - instead of third - but, alas, driver politics prevailed. Why protect Alonzo from being shown up by a rookie on his own team?

I love F1 and the Australian Grand Prix was a real treat. Can't wait until April 8 for Malaysia.

The technology involved in F1 makes NASCAR (which I also enjoy by the way) look like Matchbox cars. There is so much money in F1 - just incredible.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Entered a spoiler tag in the thread as results are here

I'll qoute wikipedia if your not familiar.

"A spoiler is a piece of information in an article about a narrative work (such as a book, feature film, television show or video game) that may reduce one's enjoyment of reading, viewing, or playing the work by revealing certain plot events or twists. If someone hasn't read, watched or played the material to which the warning refers, they might wish to avoid reading the spoiler before fully reading the work."

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i watched the australain grand prix today. I love f1, and dtm and other leagues like the rolex, and such, I think nascar is limited racing. Its who can run the fastest the longest. Not much actual racing skill, yes lots of driving skill, but i wouldnt say racing skill in drivers. Nascar is just one big management game. Where as the other leagues are the management game, plus who is driving.

Look at schumacher, prob could of jumped in the 55 and still won a bunch of races.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
WHAT???? i love F1. and Hamilton had an amazing first debut race for Mercedes,mCClaren. 3rd for a 22 year on his debut is pretty amazing!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I´m sorry, but with all the protection and input which Hamilton got from Ron Dennis, and nobody got before!, a lot of young race drivers would have finished 3rd on a McLaren 2007.

Hamilton lived in Woking for several of month and tested a lot more than Alonso: he should be a harder challenger and not driving circles.

Once I´ve seen Gary Paffet - he is a unbelievable good driver and he would challenge the Ferrari, I´m sure. He has the talent of Michael Schumacher and the fight of Nigel Mansel.

This year you can watch him in the DTM, but Mercedes gave him an old car. 2 years ago he was champion in the DTM. Everything is political, that´s a shame.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
understand what you are saying OWL. im sure there are many political behind closed doors decisions which we as the publi are not aware off.
I have read in the press how Ron Dennis has moulded this young man, signing him up as a junior at 15 to train.

·
Founding Member
114 Posts
I have read in the press how Ron Dennis has moulded this young man, signing him up as a junior at 15 to train.
But why hold that against him??? He still has to go out and do the racing - Ron Dennis can't do that for him. So what if he had a good mentor.

Alonzo won with Renault because they had the best car - not because he was the best driver. It will be interesting to see how he fares with McClaren. It already looks like the powers-that-be will be asking Hamilton to let Alonzo by him to save face. That is too bad.

I love this kind of chat! Let's keep it up.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
But why hold that against him??? He still has to go out and do the racing - Ron Dennis can't do that for him. So what if he had a good mentor.

Alonzo won with Renault because they had the best car - not because he was the best driver. It will be interesting to see how he fares with McClaren. It already looks like the powers-that-be will be asking Hamilton to let Alonzo by him to save face. That is too bad.

I love this kind of chat! Let's keep it up.
a bit like Schumacher and Irvine of years past, and Damon Hill and Jacques Villenueve first.

·
Registered
220 Posts
At least we got widescreen pictures for the first time, as the FIA finally have a proper company to produce it. There's a HD feed available too, so if ITV get their act together we may get that in the UK for next season.

Regarding Paffet and Hamilton, I've seen both race quite a few times now and Paffet is extremely talented but Hamilton has the edge IMO and that's why the decision went the way it did. Driver choices are always made for commercial reasons which may include sponsorship considerations but in this case it's simply down to who is likely to win the most points. Favouritism or special treatment never enters into it, F1 teams are a business which needs to make money to cover their operating and R&D budget, and they do what they do simply to maximise their opportunities.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Mentor...I don´t know. Today not the best drivers are in the Formula 1, but it should be. It´s a question of the managers and of the little naughty man behind the rules.

The only driver who faced Michael Schumacher in one team was Martin Brundle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.