Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '05 SLK 55 with 50k miles on it. Am looking for any warranty ideas or should I just save the money, and deal with repairs later? If you have an extended warranty, please let me know of the "good ones" and what you've paid on them.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
most here would say to just put the money away and use it when you need it. i have an extended warranty from day one, 75k or 5 years which ends in 3k more miles or May. It is/was peace of mind for me. you can do a 'search' top right for your quest

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
I think it is a split between buying and no buying. Like Jeff says where do you feel comforable. Put say thre thousand in the bank or spent three thousand for a warranty. Do you have money or is it part of the finance package that adds to your payments. Yes a trans or engine will cost more than three thousand. Of all the owners on here only a small percent had to replace either of these. Warranty is insurance that are in the business to make money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies! I've been quoted 4,350 for a "Gold" package, which includes most major things minus the convertible top. Well, does cover it's motor. Just wondering if anyone else has paid around the same, or should I pocket it and take the "uh ohs" as they come. First AMG model for me.

·
94,246 Posts
my ext was $3000 in 08 for those 5 yrs/75k

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
my ext was $3000 in 08 for those 5 yrs/75k

You bought your car new in 08 that had a factory warrant for 4 years or 50,000 miles. So the extended warranty only gave you 1 more year and 25,000 miles. The 1 year cost you $3,000. My question in the past 12 months what has the warranty paid for and what was the cost of repair?

·
94,246 Posts
you can look at it that way or from day 1 of purchase, it was 75k or 5 years.
so i got an extra 25k for 1 year. since i drive it daily, that was a bargain to me

·
94,246 Posts
oops. missed the 2nd part of the essay. I had in no particular order, by memory:

trans mount
motor mounts
rear engine seal
rear driver's side differential seal
roof lubrication

that is all i think without checking my service records

the amounts were $0 because under ext warranty and they do not list the amount, at least not on my copy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The $4,350 quote is for 3 years / 36,000 miles. Should I shop around? A new transmission sounds like a whole 'lotta no fun.

·
94,246 Posts
who is the quote from? get a quote from mb also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
who is the quote from? get a quote from mb also.
Went through carchex.com says Provider is "People's Vehicle Protection / Royal Administration Services." I was under the impression that I couldn't extend through MB due to the fact I purchased it used from an Indy dealer.

·
94,246 Posts
i would think they would take anyone's money

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
i was under the impression that I couldn't extend through MB due to the fact I purchased it used from an Indy dealer.
;)Where you purchased your MB isn't a qualifier. You must purchase the MB extended warranty prior to the factory warranty expiring.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
We bin thru this alot an i thort we sorted it......

ok Extended warranties are "peace of mind"

No they are not value for money, they are insurance policies, and as such statistically the insurance company wins by taking in more than they pay out.

However in my case i paid $3000 for 3 year top cover on my 05 SLK350.

Basically because if i do a tranny or a Cabrio roof it will really hurt to payout $12,000 to $15,000 here in Australia.

So for 3 years i know i will be covered.

So i sleep soundly at night whilst driving an 8 year old super car with 100,000 km on the clock.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Feel free to disagree , many do :)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
PS my drivers door hinge has "gone" and i find my warranty will cover it.

Dealer wants $500 to fix, yes i can do myself for $150 but with my warranty it will
be done professionally.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
cobra...yours will cover the roof? when I was considering it, most/all I found in Canada avoided anything complex, eg roof.

Miles, shoot a pm to GALO.. I believe he had extended warranty and had to have the conductor plate redone (circa 2k).

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Der Flieger
yes i particularly checked for electronics and hydraulics and have it in writing that
it includes roof, seats, etc
It's underwritten by Allianz insurance.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I got my car through CarMax with 48K on the clock. The extended warrenty runs for 72 months or 100,000 miles with a $150 deductable at CarMax or $200 at a Mercedes Dealer. During the 1st 30 days, CarMax will fix ANY discrepcies with the car free. Believe me, I put that last part to the test, with a really nit-picking list. Long story short, they fixed everything to my complete satisfaction. The warrenty is nationwide & ran me $1748, which like others have said, gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the major problem is finding a "warranty" company that wants to even deal with an AMG model. 4395 seems a little steep for 3 yr/ 36k, or am I wrong? If you know of other reputable companies that do cover them, it would be greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 25 Posts