Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MY2012 SLK55 AMG is running over 7,000Km since I bought it in May. I have less than 3,000Km to go to consider for an MB extended warranty for another 2 extra years. After 10,000Km, an extended warranty requires $600 to MB to have the car certified by their mechanics. I still remember how expensive it was to maintain my C43 Amg before. My estimated mileage would be less than 10,000Km annually, not intending to drive it in our harsh Canadian winters. Wonder if it is worth $4,000 for the extended warranty? Any experience or comments?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,217 Posts
some will say, put the money for an extended warranty away for when it is needed. personally, I have a 75k/5 year extended warranty, up in May 2013. car has 66800 on it now (09).

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I paid $2050 for a 4 year / 48k mile extended warranty through Mercury Insurance, zero deductible. That will take the full coverage warranty to Sept 2014 or 80k miles (just turned 47k).

Just used it for the first time to replace the CPS and Power Steering pump. $1600 bill that cost me zero!

No hassles from Mercury whatsoever....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Paid $3,000 for a 2 year extension to my 1 year CPO Warranty.
Just had the power steering pump replaced, power steering reservoir replaced, lower strut bushings replaced, and 2 engine mounts replaced.
2006 SLK 55. 52,000 miles.
Repairs costs $3,500.
Cost to me $0.00
Warranty coverage to Nov 2013.
Is it worth it to me? How much value is it to me if I put the car up for sale in 1 year with 90 days remaining to the next purchaser? :tu:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Canada, our basic warranty is 4yrs or 80,000 Km. In my case, 4 yrs will run out before my first 80,000 Km. Then the extended warranty kicks in, depending on whether you want to buy for 1 extra year or 2 extra years. Yes, there are limitations to what is covered, the details of which I don't have at hand. With the amount of mileage I am averaging on my car, I would have clocked only 60,000 Km by the end of 6 years. May be I should forget about the extended factory warranty and take a chance?

·
Registered
500 Posts
My MY2012 SLK55 AMG is running over 7,000Km since I bought it in May. I have less than 3,000Km to go to consider for an MB extended warranty for another 2 extra years. After 10,000Km, an extended warranty requires $600 to MB to have the car certified by their mechanics. I still remember how expensive it was to maintain my C43 Amg before. My estimated mileage would be less than 10,000Km annually, not intending to drive it in our harsh Canadian winters. Wonder if it is worth $4,000 for the extended warranty? Any experience or comments?
On an AMG, extended warranty is a must specially on a 1st year model with everything is new and unproven reliability. I don't know if the CPO extended warranty is still the same as 5 years ago when I bought Mercedes CPO extended warranty for my CL55. They told me that I can get a full refund if i never file a claim. I sold my CL55 2 years later and Mercedes refund me the full amount. If the policy is still the same, then you got nothing to lose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.