Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered--SLK is no more
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

My Warranty is up in Jan and i'm thinking to extend it with MB or WDirect. They want £800 for the year.
Is it worth it?
My car has had one issue in it's lifetime, a faulty quantity control valve. I'm sure the repair could've been sorted under £300.

What do people do re warranty?
Opinions!

Thanks
Uz

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I have typically been taking out warranties on my cars, and often with WarrantyDirect. They've been of limited to use to me in the past, on smaller cars, and I've claimed for some small items a few times (a number of years ago). I even have my SLK 55 AMG on a warranty with Warranty Direct at the moment, which is up for renewal next week. I paid £900 a year ago (actually, they allowed me to defer the payments into 4 x even quarterly payments over the year), and they're asking around £970 for the renewal that's due next week.

My car went in for a service with the local MB Independent a few weeks ago, and I was expecting a bill for £500 (service B plus brake fluid change), but they 'found' a list of other stuff that needed doing while it was in, and the total bill came to £1800 (after negotiating them down from £2000)! The only item on their list that might have been covered by the warranty was a replacement oil cap, but that was only £6, so no point in claiming for it as I have a £50 excess anyway! Everything else on the list were items not covered by warranty, some of which are explicitly excluded (such as brake pipes).

So, after paying out for warranties for the past several (many) years, I've now decided to bank the premiums I would be paying and take the risk myself instead of renewing the warranty this time.

Clearly, everyone's mileage on this may vary, and I hope that whatever choice you make turns out to be the right one (as I do for me too)! :tu:

·
Founding Member 2006
109,674 Posts

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have typically been taking out warranties on my cars, and often with WarrantyDirect. They've been of limited to use to me in the past, on smaller cars, and I've claimed for some small items a few times (a number of years ago). I even have my SLK 55 AMG on a warranty with Warranty Direct at the moment, which is up for renewal next week. I paid £900 a year ago (actually, they allowed me to defer the payments into 4 x even quarterly payments over the year), and they're asking around £970 for the renewal that's due next week.

My car went in for a service with the local MB Independent a few weeks ago, and I was expecting a bill for £500 (service B plus brake fluid change), but they 'found' a list of other stuff that needed doing while it was in, and the total bill came to £1800 (after negotiating them down from £2000)! The only item on their list that might have been covered by the warranty was a replacement oil cap, but that was only £6, so no point in claiming for it as I have a £50 excess anyway! Everything else on the list were items not covered by warranty, some of which are explicitly excluded (such as brake pipes).

So, after paying out for warranties for the past several (many) years, I've now decided to bank the premiums I would be paying and take the risk myself instead of renewing the warranty this time.

Clearly, everyone's mileage on this may vary, and I hope that whatever choice you make turns out to be the right one (as I do for me too)! :tu:
Hi Dave

Thank you! I am just worried incase something BIG goes for me i.e. Turbo, Gearbox...etc I know these cars are bulletproof but having that reassurance is a good feeling.
I also have Scratch & Dent insurance and have a personal fund for tyres and other car related expenditure (such as brake pads and discs..etc.) I cover around 12k miles a year... and to be honest Dave, 60% of that 12k is with the car in Kickdown & "M" :p
Are warranty direct good to you?
Do you think it's a good idea to get the additional warranty?

Also, why did they do the work without consulting you??
Uz

·
Founding Member 2006
109,674 Posts
see my post above yours :D

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi Dave

Thank you! I am just worried incase something BIG goes for me i.e. Turbo, Gearbox...etc I know these cars are bulletproof but having that reassurance is a good feeling.
I also have Scratch & Dent insurance and have a personal fund for tyres and other car related expenditure (such as brake pads and discs..etc.) I cover around 12k miles a year... and to be honest Dave, 60% of that 12k is with the car in Kickdown & "M" :p
Are warranty direct good to you?
Do you think it's a good idea to get the additional warranty?

Also, why did they do the work without consulting you??
Uz
The worry of something BIG is why warranty companies are in business in the first place... There's no right or wrong answer, as it's a risk either way, and each person needs to make the decision based on their own circumstances.

When I've claimed from Warranty Direct in the past, they've been very good... the garages have dealt with them directly on issues that have been covered, and all I've had to pay is the excess.

As for the recent work at the MB Independent... they did consult with me first, sorry I didn't make that clear. The bottom line was that I still faced a much larger bill than I'd planned for though, and it wasn't covered by the warranty I have... just put it down to running the car that I've chosen to drive now though!

Jeff's link above shows there are lots of discussions on this subject on the forum... perhaps read those posts/threads first, but the bottom line is that you'll need to make your own decision based on your assessment of the risk and your own personal circumstances.

If you do take out a warranty, make sure you check the small print (for what is and is not covered), and feel free to try to negotiate with them as they often have a little flexibility to tweak the cover, price and/or payment terms :D

·
Banned
973 Posts
I sought some professional advice from sources who have nothing to gain by selling me something, this included HonestJohn who writes such excellent articles in the Sat. Daily Telegraph & whose website is a mine of usefull UNBIASED advice.
The answer was loud & clear DON'T BOTHER. IF a serious malfunction is encountered on a premium car such as Mercedes & a manufacturing fault or sub-standard materials used you have plenty of recourse through the courts, spreading the word via Forums & of course the Press. £900 per year for peace of mind is just daft & the warranty companies are having the last laugh. An how irritating is it that a 'certain' glorified creep of a salesman who is only too happy to write in magazines showing of how much he makes from buying & selling classic cars takes a healthy back-hander for endorsing such schemes.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
32 Posts
The day after my roof would not open fully (see long-past post), I went to the dealer and purchased the MB extended warranty. My thanks to those who took the time to respond with thoughtful comments and suggestions. The roof problem has yet to repeat itself, but I am waiting . . . .

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sought some professional advice from sources who have nothing to gain by selling me something, this included HonestJohn who writes such excellent articles in the Sat. Daily Telegraph & whose website is a mine of usefull UNBIASED advice.
The answer was loud & clear DON'T BOTHER. IF a serious malfunction is encountered on a premium car such as Mercedes & a manufacturing fault or sub-standard materials used you have plenty of recourse through the courts, spreading the word via Forums & of course the Press. £900 per year for peace of mind is just daft & the warranty companies are having the last laugh. An how irritating is it that a 'certain' glorified creep of a salesman who is only too happy to write in magazines showing of how much he makes from buying & selling classic cars takes a healthy back-hander for endorsing such schemes.
Hi there!
I see your point... but my concern is that obviously recourse through the courts is a timely issue. It can take weeks! I need access to a car all the time... :(
Uz

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
6,001 Posts
Never ever taken out car warranty and for £900.00 ???

Ive bought my self a little run around in case of emergency .
And of three years of owning my car thats £2700.00 put aside for another slk. >:D

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never ever taken out car warranty and for £900.00 ???

Ive bought my self a little run around in case of emergency .
And of three years of owning my car thats £2700.00 put aside for another slk. >:D
Sigh you guys are making this such a difficult decision for me :nerd:

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
728 Posts
if you get it and need it, then its worth it, other wise its a waste of money

I have it, its like car insurance to me

Reactions: dbgrn

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
6,001 Posts
Sigh you guys are making this such a difficult decision for me :nerd:
But your car is new as in 2013 !!

You should not really get any big issues as such .
And for the re read £970.00 ?????

Put that £1000.00 in a cash isa and name it slk repair savings and dont touch it . :grin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a warranty in 2014. 4 years 100K miles. I'm amazed at how much is not covered when I go in for a repair covered under the warranty. So the next car I bought I did not buy a warranty. Mercedes makes some very fine automobiles. Sure things break but my experience has been that more often than not you will come out ahead without a warranty. Especially if you're a little handy. Some will do well with a warranty but the odds are not in your favor. Just my experience. Good luck!

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right I've decided,
I am going to go with Warranty Direct as I'm going to keep the car till it doesn't start anymore! I love my SLK, I've spent so much money on it and £700 (after abusing the salesman) in 4 equal payments isnt so bad.
Warranty Direct are reasonable by including wearable items in their policy so that's fine.
The thought of the gearbox going, or something bigger like a turbo worries me!!
Thank you all for your help

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Been there, done that... I certainly can't criticise you for your decision, as that's exactly what I did 12 months ago... at least you managed to negotiate a better price and payment terms than their first 'offer', as I'd suggested above that you might be able to do! :tu:

Reactions: u_2504

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been there, done that... I certainly can't criticise you for your decision, as that's exactly what I did 12 months ago... at least you managed to negotiate a better price and payment terms than their first 'offer', as I'd suggested above that you might be able to do! :tu:
I negotiated from the standpoint that it's a 2013 car.
I am buying 3 months before my warranty is due up.
I've not had any major issues with my car.
I said I did low ish mileage and that it's a weekend car.
I didn't need to use the Eric Cartman approach: "Oooo ouch £900 you're breaking my nuts ... "
:p

Thanks to everyone for the help!

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,891 Posts
You say you are going to keep it until it does not start anymore. Let say you buy the warranty at 700 for ten years that is 7,000 paid out. if the yearly price does not go up. The odds are you will not have a repair that will cost that much in the ten years. But I guess you sleep better.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
187 Posts
Hey all

My Warranty is up in Jan and i'm thinking to extend it with MB or WDirect. They want £800 for the year.
Is it worth it?
My car has had one issue in it's lifetime, a faulty quantity control valve. I'm sure the repair could've been sorted under £300.

What do people do re warranty?
Opinions!

Thanks
Uz
My 2012 has just come up for renewal Tier 1 with MB was £502 so I though that was good

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.