Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
MB extended won't cover roof issues or most of the problems you listed above from my understanding. It mostly covers mechanical stuff.
Is this true ? A factory Mercedes extended warranty won't cover roof issues?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Peace of mind is one thing (i.e. sleeping better at night), but most of the issues come up and should be attended to during the four year factory warranty period. Sure things go wrong, but if you use due diligence when buying a used car, your chances of "making out" on the extended warranty is likely a pipe dream. If you are afraid to do any of your own work on your car, that might be another reason to consider an extended warranty. For me, I know that in a few years I can expect to have to rebuild the roof hydraulic cylinders. I already have the kit on hand - cost for me to rebuild them - under $25. Cost to have the dealer do it - well into four digits not counting the decimal point. :) It's all a matter of priorities I guess.

Len

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I suppose if you feel comfortable doing oil, oil filter, air filter changes, etc. it might be another reason to maybe consider not getting extended warranty.

I say this because after a warranty many feel more comfortable changing their oil themselves, for example, so you could then do that, save money, to also put back towards any possible repairs.

Again, not making a suggestion. Just thinking out loud to help me when I make this decision too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's hard to say right now. I got in touch with Lisa per an earlier post. I'm now considering the MB extended warranty. What I need to find out is exactly what is excluded. The roof is not explicitly listed as a covered item and the site says to contact the dealer for a list of covered items. I do see that they cover 4 wheel drive systems, turbos and superchargers. We certainly won't get the benefit of those coverages... so what about our stowable hard top?

Anyone have a list of covered and excluded items for the MB warranty? :confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just had a look through some of the Carchex specimen warranty docs. They all seem to exclude "convertible tops". They also exclude "shock absorbers" which normally wouldn't be a big deal. But depending on how that term is applied I'd be worried that I wouldn't have coverage for the Automatic Body Control system in my SL.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My car is out of factory warranty since October of 2009. It has 37,000 miles on it and runs great. I did have to replace the alternator last spring while it was still warrantied. I did not think it was worth it to me to purchase the extended warranty. Think about it for a minute. MB has lots of engineers and accountants and they have calculated that they will make money on selling these extended warranties. Do you really believe that purchasing an extended warranty is a good deal for anyone other than MB and their dealer network? Find yourself a good independent Mercedes mechanic and save your money. Extended warranties are for suckers.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes and no. Think of it as insurance, the more they sell the safer it is for the company. They truly believe in their product and probably figure 1 in 10 cars will be junk. So diversification comes into play. They don't have lawyers accountants or whoever to calculate premium for each car because there is no way for knowing if your car is going to be 1 in 10. So, if u know ur car, don't drive it much, and haven't had major problems yet, then it may not be worth it (except peace of mind). You are better off with outside mechanic with the expertise. However if your car constantly has problems then it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Insurance - you are exactly right and in the grand scheme of things, the insurance company ALWAYS wins. Sure, a few people make out okay on an extended warranty, but a whole lot more don't. The profit margin on extended warranties is huge. I've never bought one, never will and never had a car where one would have paid off for me.

Len

Reactions: Cat

·
Registered
9 Posts
DirectBuy extended Warranty

I am considering buying an extended warranty for my 06 SLK350 (44K miles). The price quoted to me from "DirectBuyWarranty (www.directbuywarranty.com)" for additional 3 yr/36K miles was close to $1500 which they claim is their bumper to bumper. Here is the web page telling what they cover and what they do not:

http://www.directbuywarranty.com/_protection_coverage_chart_popup_.php

My questions are:

1) Is it worth it?
2) Can someone share their experience with Directbuywarranty?
3) I am a California resident, Can they do business here bein NJ based? Another warranty company (warrantydirect) guy tells me that they are the only one registered to do this type of business in California.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,418 Posts
I am considering buying an extended warranty for my 06 SLK350 (44K miles). The price quoted to me from "DirectBuyWarranty (www.directbuywarranty.com)" for additional 3 yr/36K miles was close to $1500 which they claim is their bumper to bumper. Here is the web page telling what they cover and what they do not:

My questions are:

1) Is it worth it?
3) I am a California resident, Can they do business here bein NJ based? Another warranty company (warrantydirect) guy tells me that they are the only one registered to do this type of business in California.

Ask your local MB independent shop and the local MB service dep't and see if they've dealt with this company before and what their honest opinion is.

Convertible parts are not covered.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts

My questions are:

1) Is it worth it?

I'd call them, and make sure that they cover your roof mechanics before considering them further. They say they don't cover "convertible tops" which to legimate companies means they don't cover the fabric - which is fine for your SLK as long as they *are* covering the mechanics.

They also exclude the COMAND head if you have one - or again, at least that's the way I'm reading it.

No personal experience with 'em, general vibe on the other forums seems positive. I'd see if the MB / Chrysler warrantys are still available for comparison purposes. Eddy had a pretty good thread going on - can't find it at the moment, we'll have to wait for Woolly to wander by! :)

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Read this whole thread closely - both sides and make up your mind whether you need one at all.

Len

·
Registered
1 Posts
In need of extended warranty....

My warranty is about to expire for my 06 SLK 350 and really haven't looked at a company that has shown sometype of reputable background.

Carsafe called and I noticed that they received bad reviews from the BBB. I was wondering if anyone out there could assist me in and point me in the direction of a extended warranty company. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
IMO the best warranty is to keep your money in your own pocket. All you are buying is an expensive insurance policy and in the long run, the insurance companies always win.

Len

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
My warranty is about to expire for my 06 SLK 350 and really haven't looked at a company that has shown sometype of reputable background.

Carsafe called and I noticed that they received bad reviews from the BBB. I was wondering if anyone out there could assist me in and point me in the direction of a extended warranty company. thanks
:)Take the advice from the poster before your post. Start from the beginning of this thread, read up, and decide. No middle ground. There are those that think extended warranties are money well spent (me for one) and those that don't agree.

·
Registered
522 Posts
MB extended warranty won't cover roof issues

I confirmed this by asking an MB dealer as I was shopping around for an extended warranty for my 2006 SLK280. The MB dealer said NO, it will not cover any "roof issues with the convertible".

Well.........that does it for me. I will be looking at the EasyCare quote again and make a decision very soon. So far EasyCare quoted me (The "time" is from the date of purchase of the extended warranty from EasyCare. The miles are TOTAL ODOMETER MILES). I have EasyCare for my other 2006 SLK55 AMG when I bought the car last year from an independent high end dealer. I hope the info below help some of you decide. I was also told that there will be a price increase starting April 1. Although I think they are just saying that to get me to buy RIGHT NOW:

TotalCare Coverage
48 months / 60,000 odometer miles
$100 deductible
$2584

48 months / 75,000 odometer miles
$100 deductible
$3161

60 months / 75,000 odometer miles
$100 deductible
$3895

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Well you already have the extended warranty on another car. How has it worked out for you? Good deal, PIA, pouring money down a rat hole, sleep better at night, etc....Tell us your experiences with it. Since you seem intent on buying another one, there must be some satisfaction in what you've already got.

Len

·
Registered
522 Posts
Extended Warranty

Well you already have the extended warranty on another car. How has it worked out for you? Good deal, PIA, pouring money down a rat hole, sleep better at night, etc....Tell us your experiences with it. Since you seem intent on buying another one, there must be some satisfaction in what you've already got.

Len
Well, on the SLK55AMG.........so far so good. Meaning don't have to use any extended warranty yet (knock on wood). I did have the trunk struts replaced a few months ago at the MB dealer under original factory MB warranty.

On the SLK280..........so far so good as well. There were some noise issues with the roof system as I drive on bumpy roads at low speeds. But this was fixed under original MB factory warranty. This issue took them something like 4 hours plus and something like 12 test drives around the block to entirely isolate the noise and eliminate the noise. I watched them do it the entire process. I was surprised they took all that time on this. Whereas the other dealer I went to initially for this problem just said to me ........ IT IS NORMAL. WTF!!! Normal!!??? This was the same initial dealer where I took the same car in for the "fading" on the rear black pillars next to the real glass window..........THEY ALSO SAID THIS IS NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR!!!! But all this was fixed and replaced by the second MB dealer I went to. All this was covered under the original MB factory warranty. I will not go back to the first dealer ever again. Also the EasyCare will and does cover the roof mechanism.

If the vehicle is a Lexus or Toyota or something similar, then I would definitely NOT go for the extended warranty. ON an MB.........YES!!! I just needed some "insurance". I hope I will not have to use the "insurance", but it is there if and when the need becomes apparent.

BTW, I looked into the EasyCare docs again and discovered under its TOTAL CARE package..........there is the included wheel and tire coverage. Meaning if I get a flat tire and they cover for the repair. And if the tire is beyond repair, then they will replace the tire with NO DEDUCTIBLE (even if the policy has a $250 or $100 deductible or whatever deductible). Same applies to the wheel. Although the wheel will have to be damaged in such a way that it is NOT SAFE to operate (can not hold the air any more or if there is a crack or something like that). I don't think they will cover for minor curb rash which is more cosmetic.

I just look at this as "insurance". Sure in most cases the "insurance company" will win at the end. After all, they have teams of actuaries to calculate risks and benefits. Usually they calculate in such a way that it is in their favor at the end of all this.

When I get ready to sell the car.........I can transfer it to the next owner for $50 or I can just CANCEL the policy and get PRORATED REFUND for the months that I did not use.

Too bad that Lexus or Toyota does not make a carbon copy of the SLK!!! On the Lexus SC430 which is a nice reliable car.....but it just does not drive and feel the same as the SLK!!! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,454 Posts
Well, on the SLK55AMG.........so far so good. Meaning don't have to use any extended warranty yet (knock on wood). I did have the trunk struts replaced a few months ago at the MB dealer under original factory MB warranty.

On the SLK280..........so far so good as well. There were some noise issues with the roof system as I drive on bumpy roads at low speeds. But this was fixed under original MB factory warranty. This issue took them something like 4 hours plus and something like 12 test drives around the block to entirely isolate the noise and eliminate the noise. I watched them do it the entire process. I was surprised they took all that time on this. Whereas the other dealer I went to initially for this problem just said to me ........ IT IS NORMAL. WTF!!! Normal!!??? This was the same initial dealer where I took the same car in for the "fading" on the rear black pillars next to the real glass window..........THEY ALSO SAID THIS IS NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR!!!! But all this was fixed and replaced by the second MB dealer I went to. All this was covered under the original MB factory warranty. I will not go back to the first dealer ever again. Also the EasyCare will and does cover the roof mechanism.

If the vehicle is a Lexus or Toyota or something similar, then I would definitely NOT go for the extended warranty. ON an MB.........YES!!! I just needed some "insurance". I hope I will not have to use the "insurance", but it is there if and when the need becomes apparent.

BTW, I looked into the EasyCare docs again and discovered under its TOTAL CARE package..........there is the included wheel and tire coverage. Meaning if I get a flat tire and they cover for the repair. And if the tire is beyond repair, then they will replace the tire with NO DEDUCTIBLE (even if the policy has a $250 or $100 deductible or whatever deductible). Same applies to the wheel. Although the wheel will have to be damaged in such a way that it is NOT SAFE to operate (can not hold the air any more or if there is a crack or something like that). I don't think they will cover for minor curb rash which is more cosmetic.

I just look at this as "insurance". Sure in most cases the "insurance company" will win at the end. After all, they have teams of actuaries to calculate risks and benefits. Usually they calculate in such a way that it is in their favor at the end of all this.

When I get ready to sell the car.........I can transfer it to the next owner for $50 or I can just CANCEL the policy and get PRORATED REFUND for the months that I did not use.

Too bad that Lexus or Toyota does not make a carbon copy of the SLK!!! On the Lexus SC430 which is a nice reliable car.....but it just does not drive and feel the same as the SLK!!! :biglaugh:

The way I see it you have paid out around $5000 to have repairs that was covered by a factory warranty, score is now you 5000 and EasyCare 0.

The trunk struts is around $40 for the parts and labor even less as it is a 10 minute job. The rattle 4 hours labor on the high side is $400. If not cover by factory and EasyCare was paying with a $100 deductable the struts would not have been covered and on rattle they would have paid 300 and you pay 100. New score would be you 5200 and EasyCare 300.

Do not know if to wish you good luck that you do not need to use warranty you bought or to wish you bad luck that you get your money worth back.

I am on the side not to buy.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.