Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a decision on an extended warranty in the next two days. I would greatly appreciate your feedback. F)

I bought an '05 SLK55 and the MB warranty has expired on it. It has 28,000 miles. Date placed in service is Dec of 2004. So that means I need an aftermarket warranty that I can trust and doesn't cost a mint.

I've searched the forum here and found a little info:

JM&A warranty - What company is this? How do I buy one? When I went to the company website there's very little info for consumers. Seems like it's purchased through dealers. Can it be purchased online somewhere?

I was quoted the following on a warranty through a dealership. I'm not sure what warranty company and need to see the fine print yet.

4yr/50k miles with $250 deductible $4334
1yr/12k miles with $250 deductible $2439

I also submitted a quote request through Carfax. Haven't heard a response back
Our local credit union won't sell me a warranty because the company they use considers the car "high performance"

I'm not sure how long I want a warranty for. Well forever would be nice :burnout: This was the first price given. I can negotiate right? What would be a good negotiation? Someone mentioned $300-500 per year below what was offered.

It's hard to make relevant price comparisons to information on the forum because everyone's car has different mileage and some are buying extended warranties while the car is still under factory warranty versus after original warranty expires.

It would be nice to have a thread or sticky with general guidelines and advice for purchasing extended warranties as it seems like an essential item for those of us who are keeping our cars for a long time. What to look for, what to stay away from, companies that owners recommend, that kind of thing would be helpful. Price paid would be nice but not essential since it's so specific to the car and market.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,588 Posts
Some members just put the money they would spend on a warranty in a money market or cd and just take their chances. I purchased a 75k/5 yr warranty on my new 09 from mb. i had previous extended warranties on 02 and 05 slks and exchanged em on new car before using em at the 3 yrs marks.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
FWIW, I don't really value the warranties from anyone other than MB. I intentionally purchased a CPO car in order to get one. I've had a third party warranty in the past, and they made me jump through so many hoops to get something fixed, I didn't think it was worth the trouble. Sort of like a medical claim through an HMO...

I have three cars with manufacturer's warranties now, and three without. I think it costs me less money to "self-insure" my three older cars than an after-market warranty would cost. But I have no experience with your provider, and it might be a different case with them...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Extended Warranty

I recently purchased a 2006 SLK55 and am considering the extended warranty. Here's the info that I recd from my local credit union. Their website is communityfirstcu.org. They may consider selling you a policy even if your not local.
*They offer a 5 year 100k, 85k, 75k with prices as follows 2971.50=100k, 2346.75 for 85k, 2168.25 for 75k
* This is transferable for 50 dollars
* Optional price available if you want the nav system covered.
*Technically you can wait until after the manufactures warranty but then you have to wait 1 month and 3k miles before a claim and also the cost in normally higher.
*unfortunately the tops and mechanisms are not covered in the package.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hmmm, I think I'd be cautious on a warranty for the SLK that didn't cover the COMAND and top - those tend to be the most expensive bits to fix...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some members just put the money they would spend on a warranty in a money market or cd and just take their chances. I purchased a 75k/5 yr warranty on my new 09 from mb. i had previous extended warranties on 02 and 05 slks and exchanged em on new car before using em at the 3 yrs marks.
Yeah, I could do that. I'm not so much worried about coughing up the cash if something breaks, but looking at it from the standpoint that it wouldn't take much to go wrong before I would make my money back and then some. And Lord, I wouldn't wish for anything to go wrong either way! :hail:

·
93,588 Posts
since i always seem to get a new slk before the original warranty expires or the extended one kicks in, the only thing i am not getting is the interest on the money but what is 1 or 2 % these days anyway.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone heard of AUL (Associates Underwriting Limited) aulcorp.com

The description of their policy and process seems straightforward.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Brian, take a second and review the thread below regarding my request for extended warranty information and what I decided. Post #16 is what I got and what it cost me. I paid approximately $3600 and feel comfortable with my decision. Contact Lisa at the number below and speak to her. She's very knowledgable and can provide the information you need to decide. In my opinion, I rather have the three year extended MB warranty with zero deductible than the $3600 in the bank.

Call Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors (authorized MB dealer in Chico, CA) at 1-800-655-3535. I believe she's the sales manager.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/7668-extended-warranty-information.html

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I have the same question since that seems to be in the fine print of some warranties. EasyCare was also suggested to me by another fellow forum member. When did you purchase it Rick? Was vehicle still under MB warranty?

·
93,588 Posts
total miles from 0. mine is 5 yrs/75k. in fact i go saturday for a service b. car is 1 year old next month and i have almost 16500 milesand is an 09!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi everyone. I just wanted to wrap this one up and let you know what I went with! I shopped around and narrowed it down to 2. Mercury Select Management Co (Platinum coverage) and Carchex (Titanium coverage) which is a broker for Century Warranty Services. These are both exclusionary contracts which means they list the things that are not covered. My biggest advice when it comes to these things is get a copy of the contract in advance and READ it carefully. If they can't give you a copy of the contract in advance...NEXT!

I ended up choosing the Carchex warranty because it has a clause that covers "Wear and Tear" up to 50,000 total vehicle miles and it covers Seals and Gaskets as a stand-alone item. It also had fewer excluded items. Wear and Tear is supposed to let you fix things the dealer says need replacing before the component actually fails. Most warranties define mechanical breakdown as "inability of a properly maintained component to function as intended by the manufacturer"

Here are the prices I was quoted for the two warranties for my 2005 55 with 28k miles.

Mercury
5yrs/85k miles w/ Navigation option $2400. 5 yrs is from contract purchase date, 85k miles is total vehicle miles.
contact Damien at Allied Solutions 1-800-826-9384, ext 23319, or [email protected]

Carchex
3yrs/36k miles $2400. Mileage and time is measured from contract date
4yrs/48k miles $2900
5yrs/60k miles $3700
contact Larry Gaither at Carchex, 1-877-227-2439, ext 1139 or [email protected]

I chose the 5yr/60k miles so I'll be covered until 5/1/2014 or 88,000 miles whichever comes first. Hope this helps anyone that is looking for an extended warranty

·
Registered
610 Posts
I thought I'd add my experience to this old thread also.

I also went with Carchex also with the following coverage:

My Car: 2005 SLK 55 AMG with 17,000 miles at the time of the contract

My Contract: "Premum Care" - 4 yr / 48K miles - $100 deductable - $2,342 premium cost

Century Warranty Services, Inc. is the ultimate carrier and I chose a monthly billing option which I think added a small service fee (They didn't call it a financing fee).

I like that this coverage is "bumper-to-bumper" and covers pretty much everything except regular maintenance.

I've been pretty happy with the service so far. I haven't had a major problem but I did have one small claim and the insurance company worked directly with the dealer and negotiated the repair cost. The only hiccup is that my dealer won't accept payment directly from the 3rd party insurance even though they were going to pay by a company credit card. This is more of an issue with my dealership being a pain in the butt than anything else. Becasue of this I had to submit the charge and I was reimbursed fairly quickly.

At this point I would have nothing but positive things to say about Carchex and their coverage. Have you had to make a claim yet Brian?

BTW - they also threw in $100 worth of gas ($25/month) through MPELL. I can't say as I'm crazy about that deal - MPELL makes it a real hassle to get reimbursed. When they mentioned the deal I figured it would be a $100 gift card. Instead I practically had to send my first born to MPELL. I still haven't received my first payment and I wouldn't even bother withthis in the future.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
So I'm confused. Is that like 4yr/48k from the time you buy? If not, isn't your 2005 coverage over in 2009, like pretty soon?

·
Registered
610 Posts
At least in the case of Carchex the time and mileage counters start on the day the contract goes into effect and at the current mileage. In my case that makes it expire around 3/2013 and 65,000.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
So I'm confused. Is that like 4yr/48k from the time you buy? If not, isn't your 2005 coverage over in 2009, like pretty soon?
:)With my recently purchased 7 year/75,000 mile MB extended limited warranty, it expires 7 years from the car in-service date (Dec 2011) and/or a maximum of 75,000 vehicle miles.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts