Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have searched what kickdown exactly is. is it just basically flooring it when you want more power or is it steping down one gear. i have a 2007 slk 350 automatic. i just want to be able to get the most performance from this car when i need it. any info would be helpful. thanks in advance, pimpslk

D

·
0 Posts
It releases the torque converter lockup clutch changes down to the lowest possible gear then locks the converter up again.

Its hardly perfect being kept mostly because its something people with auto's are used to having but if you get it just right the boost can be handy if you need to get something over with fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dan for the explanation but im still puzzled as how to actually achieve this. is is just merely flooring the gas pedal to the floor or is it something else.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
It's more peddle pressure vs. current speed /gear. Do a smooth, firm, consistent acceleration and the transmission should downshift then up shift as the revs increase. Think of it as trying to get the best gas mileage but the fastest acceleration.

Mashing the peddle to the metal will produce a down shift but my opinion is it defeats the purpose when trying to achieve a quick acceleration.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

D

·
0 Posts
It's more peddle pressure vs. current speed /gear. Do a smooth, firm, consistent acceleration and the transmission should downshift then up shift as the revs increase. Think of it as trying to get the best gas mileage but the fastest acceleration.

Mashing the peddle to the metal will produce a down shift but my opinion is it defeats the purpose when trying to achieve a quick acceleration.
Ditto.

This is a better way of doing it because you get the power right away.

But to answer your question to enable kickdown you put the pedal to the floor you will have to overcome some resistance but just push until it hits the stopper you will know when kickdown itself activates because the car will feel like its lost drive then the revs will rise considerably and it will re-engage with a bang.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses everyone. i appreciate it greatly. i have learned many new things on this forum.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I think this is where the sprint booster helps, many threads regarding this product, when I need to be in a lower gear, I engage the clutch and shift to the gear I want. lol....... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.