1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,631 Posts
They didn't catch me! :D

·
Super Moderator
24,917 Posts
What ever your opinion on speeding just look at the subliminal message.

Very wealthy, professional sports car owners who knowingly broke the law.
In the abject belief that they can lawyer their way out of any penalty.

Ran away like little girls.
(old English expression and not intended as discriminatory. Girls drive fast too).

I like their cars.
Smile at their wealth.

And laugh my head off at how spineless they are.

Do the crime, do the time.

·
Resident Nerd
185 Posts
Grown men acting like little boys. I'm sure they are compensating. It's one thing to go fast and be irresponsible, it's another to think "cops have no chance to catch us, lets all elude them".

Funny though, I saw that headline and thought *SOMEONE* here was in trouble :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's an old saying amongst street racers "You can't outrun a Motorola"
Or a camera.. I was actually surprised there were that many cars like that in this area. Other than the GTR, we don't have any dealers up here. I'm the operations director for a dealer group in the cities and Minnesota is not a big high end market likely due to our lovely 7 months of winter. I would have liked to take a spin in the McClaren and certainly have a modicum of admiration for the nsx pilot.

What I can't fathom is how they thought they would have got away with it.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,631 Posts
you didn't say that the other day! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
well chiiiiiit, 100 to 110 mph? i pooped faster than that in my old '91 Camaro RS before i had it scraped.

Hell, about have to drive 100 in New Orleans, or get ran over. I'd do about 80 and the natives pass me up like i'm standing still. :crying:

But, generally, these days, I cruise about 5 over speed. Getting old, I guess.

·
Registered
227 Posts
well chiiiiiit, 100 to 110 mph? i pooped faster than that in my old '91 Camaro RS before i had it scraped.

Hell, about have to drive 100 in New Orleans, or get ran over. I'd do about 80 and the natives pass me up like i'm standing still. :crying:

But, generally, these days, I cruise about 5 over speed. Getting old, I guess.
I'm getting old as well. I can't help but think our generation had it best on the roads. A few mobile speed cameras, and even then you'd have to slow down approaching them because you'd have been blinded by all the headlamps being flashed at you.

I had a BMW motorbike and speed limits were of academic interest only. If I was going at half over the limit I was cruising.

Nowadays I'm like you: 10% over is my limit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Attitudes to speeding have changed. I came away from Silverstone motor racing circuit in my V8 TVR after a Le Mans Endurance Race. The same as everyone else that day, I had a little dream of driving a GT car, or even a prototype, when making my way home.

I came onto the M40. The slip road is a tight left-hander and any driver (even the odd psychopath who was so selfish as to push it a little) would look to their right to check for traffic so as to merge in without inconveniencing anyone. There was a large box van coming along fairly slowly and as the driver flashed the headlights I thought it would be rude not to pull in front of him. So I accelerated under the flyover only to be flashed by a hidden speed camera. It was a 40mph limit and not the normal 70mph.

I turned off at the next junction, drove back and went along the slip road again, this time a bit slower. The sign was placed well round the bend, so if you were looking at traffic on the motorway you'd miss it. And I had.

I got the dreaded letter demanding that I said who was driving. As an ex police officer I'd caused a number to be sent. In my reply I pointed out that the speed limit signs placement did not conform to the recommendations and there were two other factors that I brought up as well. There was a fourth, but I kept that one back, just in case it went to court.

That was the last I heard of it.

At a dinner party I was asked the procedure for a speeding offence by a woman who'd been flashed at - no raincoats - and I rattled it off. I was asked if I had ever been flashed and I told them of the incident.

I received the biggest telling off since I put chalk dust over Janet Board's hair when at primary school. There were only two blokes who'd talk to me for the balance of the evening. It seems I was a pariah.

My wife was asked by a female guest if I 'always drove at silly speeds'. She pointed out that I was only going at 67mph according to the speed camera, under the normal speed limit, but this didn't seem to matter.

I was told that there was one law for 'you' and one law for them. I pointed out that I wasn't a 'you' as I'd retired.

I was going at 67 on a 70mph motorway, the speed limit reduced for road works which were not operating that day and the road was open on all three lanes. But I was worse than Dr Shipman.

In 30 years as a police officer, a bit over half on operational work, I'd never reported an RTA where driving over the speed limit was the cause I nominated. Going at inappropriate speed yes, but not merely speeding. The difference is fundamental.

I was told when I joined, back in the middle 70s, by my inspector that I needed three things for him to nod through a prosecution:

1/ an offence,

2/ an offender, and

3/ a reason for prosecuting.

Gold. I'm glad I had the sense to follow it.

I could go on all day about it, and have a bit. Here's a bit more:

I've been in magistrates' court with a prisoner for an assault on kid half the offender's weight. He'd hit him in the stomach so there would be no bruises to photograph, but the victim had had trouble breathing for some minutes. An off duty nurse helped him - she was gorgeous, a real stunner, so I'm pleased to have remembered the incident. He was fined the equivalent nowadays to around £40. A chap who'd been caught speeding for the second time got three times the fine and points on his licence. Bewildering.

She had a brilliant smile, one that lit up her face, and the faces of any bloke nearby. I had to sit opposite her when I took the statement. She even smelt lovely.

Off for a cold shower now.

·
Super Moderator
24,917 Posts
I'm getting old as well. I can't help but think our generation had it best on the roads. A few mobile speed cameras, and even then you'd have to slow down approaching them because you'd have been blinded by all the headlamps being flashed at you.

I had a BMW motorbike and speed limits were of academic interest only. If I was going at half over the limit I was cruising.

Nowadays I'm like you: 10% over is my limit.

They had cameras?

Vascar or 'in the opinion of two police officers' in my day.

I even got overtaken in France by a cop who just waved 'Hi' as he passed me at well over 100mph. I'm sure of the speed as I was doing it!.

I'm not gonna say that I never speed. But never knowingly in built up areas, near turns, entrances to fields etc etc.
Serious figures are saved for roads that I have already scouted to be sure of conditions (and camera checked).

I have NEVER run from the boys in blue even when I could have ditched them with ease.
It's a question of respect, rather than morals (though them too).

When it goes wrong 'traffic' are generally the first responders.
There's no argument that you can give to ace their knowledge.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
When I get stopped, or "flashed", I pick one of the following questions to ask the officer/bobby, depending on their gender:

Nice shoes, do they make those for men/women too?

Does your boyfriend/girlfriend there travel with you always?

Does your mommy cut your hair, or do you do that yourself?

Or, the classic, Does your mommy know where you are right now?

It hasn't worked so far-I always seem to get a citation. But I'm still hopeful...

·
Registered
227 Posts
They had cameras?

I have NEVER run from the boys in blue even when I could have ditched them with ease.
It's a question of respect, rather than morals (though them too).

When it goes wrong 'traffic' are generally the first responders.
There's no argument that you can give to ace their knowledge.
Sorry, in those days it was 'radar'.

I used to be in charge of my force's driving school and there is no doubt in my mind that a class 1 is the best group of drivers on the road for safe speed.

At one time I organised a Formula 1 driver, Peter Gethin, to give the guys some instruction on circuit, Goodwood, and then we allowed him out on the road to show us what he could do. What he could do was frighten the life out of everyone.

He was tremendously fast and that was the first time I'd aver drifted on a road, around a blind corner in a 4x4 Sierra. It was remarkable. I wouldn't have missed it for the world, but wouldn't do it again.

The difference between him and my lads was remarkable. He'd beat everyone on a day, but my lads would do it day in and day out with much less risk.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I get stopped, or "flashed", I pick one of the following questions to ask the officer/bobby, depending on their gender:

Nice shoes, do they make those for men/women too?

Does your boyfriend/girlfriend there travel with you always?

Does your mommy cut your hair, or do you do that yourself?

Or, the classic, Does your mommy know where you are right now?

It hasn't worked so far-I always seem to get a citation. But I'm still hopeful...
I admire your bravery. We must get together. When's your release date?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts