Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people on this forum seem to be in favour of loud exhausts. So perhaps I'm in a minority in liking quiet cars. I had a Jaguar where you had to look at the rev counter to see if the engine was running, 'cos there was no other way to tell. Super quick, super quiet. I'm not unhappy with a melodious tone, may be even a wail at high revs, the thrash of valve gear, but I don't really understand the fashion for machine-gun noise. Flaps in the exhaust? Mad!

Now to sit back and wait for vigourous disagreement. Sympathetic voices encouraged.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Hmmm.. All a matter of degree... I do love the note of the SLK at even low rpm/load; I especially like it above 4k going through a tunnel or underpass.

That said, the younger crowd in Canada (and I suspect the US) have adopted a "cruiser" configuration (originating in Japan and LA mostly a la Gone in 60secs, sliding etc) of which 3-4" exhaust with very little back pressure or quieting involved. Annoying. I do remember cherry bomb mufflers in my day.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Loud Exhaust?

Many people on this forum seem to be in favour of loud exhausts. So perhaps I'm in a minority in liking quiet cars. I had a Jaguar where you had to look at the rev counter to see if the engine was running, 'cos there was no other way to tell. Super quick, super quiet. I'm not unhappy with a melodious tone, may be even a wail at high revs, the thrash of valve gear, but I don't really understand the fashion for machine-gun noise. Flaps in the exhaust? Mad!

Now to sit back and wait for vigourous disagreement. Sympathetic voices encouraged.
Well, I agree with you! :tu:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm with you voluptua. Before buying the 55, we test drove a Mustang GT convertible (kind of souped-up) that was so loud it was actually stressful to drive. Compared to that thing, the 55 is very quiet. I agree, it would be wonderful if it were totally silent.

A few weeks ago, I test drove a Tesla Roadster which is a $150k fully electric car. It was so nice to floor it and the only noise was a bit of a whine as the electric motor rev'd up. In normal driving, there was no engine noise at all, just road noise.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I am in general agreement, I enjoy a quiet smooth ride with routine everyday driving but do not mind a nice throaty exhaust note under throttle.

I am not enamored with the excessively loud noise on some vehicles.

·
Registered
467 Posts
For most driving I like a nice mellow tone. When I jump on it I'd like it to scream.

It's really a personal taste thing where everyone might be a bit different.

Like the Miller Lite tastes great / less filling debate - there is no right or wrong answer.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I think the SLK exhaust sound is incredibly boring. No, I don't want loud, but I would like to hear the engine's 6 cylinder symphony. For those old enough to remember, my first car was an A-H Sprite on which I installed a Stebro "muffler". My second car was a '69 Z28. I modified the stock muffler on my MR2 Spyder, both for lighter weight AND more sound. When Gregg and I meet-up with the Der Flieger's, I asked John to rev the engine to compare if mine wasn't working properly. They sounded the same...I'd LOVE to get my SLK sounding like a G35/37; they sound awesome!!!
IMHO, the exhaust of a high performance car, sports or coupe/sedan, should be louder than its tires!

Zoom zoom...

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I like the exhaust on my car; you can have a comfortable conversation at cruising speed ... but once you push it, all hell breaks loose :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
The 55 is pretty quiet at cruising speed or if you're off the throttle. not a fan of muscle car exhaust tones on a luxury sport car (open cats, deleted resonator). That being said, if you buy a v8, you want it to sound like a v8.

Plus it's funny when you get :confused::confused::confused::confused: looks from people when they hear the v8 rumble, look, and see a tiny 2 seater coming down the road.

34 Posts
Hi Voluptua

These are Loud exhausts:

The possession of a Sports Car provides sensations and the sound of a powerful engine is expected.

The V8 engined SLK55 is greatly enhanced by an improved sound.

For most it's all a compromise, but a quiet Sports Sports car would like a Bentley without the leather smell.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.