Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered on numerous occasions but I cant seem to find a clear enough answer and I am hoping to get some clarification and thoughts please.

Is it possible to have your cake and eat it :wink: - Ideally I would be looking for a louder exhaust noise with small throttle openings, slightly louder flat out and with no drone when cruising. Is this possible?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,180 Posts
You've got drone when cruising? Unless you're revving over 2000 (if memory serves, thats around 70 mph in 7th), flaps are substantially closed and it's very quiet.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
514 Posts
I know this has been covered on numerous occasions but I cant seem to find a clear enough answer and I am hoping to get some clarification and thoughts please.

Is it possible to have your cake and eat it :wink: - Ideally I would be looking for a louder exhaust noise with small throttle openings, slightly louder flat out and with no drone when cruising. Is this possible?
I believe @Col (Col) has modded his R172 exhaust :smile:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,499 Posts
I’m very happy with the results of my mods! The only time the car sounds slightly odd is running on 4 cylinders at low revs, say below 1500 rpm but only at certain speeds.
The sounds on start up, WOT, and during gear changes are all improved dramatically.

My mods are x-pipe in place of the resonator and internally modified rear boxes. I still have working flaps and all cats present.

There is a breakfast meeting next week where I believe a 172 with a louder exhuast will be eating eggs >:D
See UK Region :nerd:
I’m intrigued! Sounds good, who’s car is that?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
I’m very happy with the results of my mods! The only time the car sounds slightly odd is running on 4 cylinders at low revs, say below 1500 rpm but only at certain speeds.
The sounds on start up, WOT, and during gear changes are all improved dramatically.

My mods are x-pipe in place of the resonator and internally modified rear boxes. I still have working flaps and all cats present.

Col - that sounds great and exactly what I am looking for. What modifications have been don to the rear boxes please?

·
2,499 Posts

Col - that sounds great and exactly what I am looking for. What modifications have been don to the rear boxes please?
See the attached sketch. This is a plan view of the left rear box, other side is a mirror image. Basically both rear boxes are opened, gutted and a y pipe with perforations on branch. This gives you the silencing when the flaps are closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
See the attached sketch. This is a plan view of the left rear box, other side is a mirror image. Basically both rear boxes are opened, gutted and a y pipe with perforations on branch. This gives you the silencing when the flaps are closed.
Great thanks Col. Where did you buy your exhaust from please?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,257 Posts
Been around Col's SLK on several runs.

It has a good sound when it opens up.
Good and not 'fake'.
Fake being when it sounds loud but not powerful, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is a place on MED177amg ECU to alter flap function. Anyone yet tried to variant code theirs open?
Would've already, but garaged for the winter..

Always have preferred coding things instead of installing boxes and gadgets, if possible.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,658 Posts
I'm working on a similar black box for the 172.

Pure coding solution but in the lead-up to Christmas I have about 5 projects on that need to be completed before a trade show in January.

What I'm looking for is the option to re-select the last selected driving mode at shutdown. ie if car was in S when the ignition was switched off the car will start up in S when restarted.

Then S mode detect with optional profiles for the exhaust flaps. All open, open at lower RPM, gradual slope etc etc.

Also the ability to 'chirp' the pipes on changedowns a little more opfen than when I'm risking my licence.

It would be nice to try to disable that throttle blip at startup that it appears to have been invented purely to piss off my wife and the neighbours! :)

And probably 1/2 the cost of the box from Germany.

·
Registered
23 Posts

@Col
Sounds perfect . I would like the same exhaust modification as long as the price is right . Eisenmann wanted something like £2,000 for a whole system. The stock rear tips look fine on R172 SLK 55 AMG so no point in binning them.
I’m looking for someone that has had the same done in the UK or is it possible to do a DIY job on the back boxes inserting the Y pipes ?

Thanks

Andy

·
2,499 Posts
@Col
Sounds perfect . I would like the same exhaust modification as long as the price is right . Eisenmann wanted something like £2,000 for a whole system. The stock rear tips look fine on R172 SLK 55 AMG so no point in binning them.
I’m looking for someone that has had the same done in the UK or is it possible to do a DIY job on the back boxes inserting the Y pipes ?

Thanks

Andy
Whether it's possible to DIY would depend on the DIYER and having the right tools. I saw a thread somewhere where someone had done a DIY for this kind of thing on an R171, either a 280 or a 350, don't remember which. They said they'd done it in a day which sounds a bit too quick to me but it is plausible I guess having the right skills and equipment. Had a quick search but couldn't find the thread perhaps one of the mods can help find it? :wink:
@jbanks15
@dbgrn
@Avel Du

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,407 Posts

·
2,499 Posts
All I can recall was that the guy had removed his exhaust and opened the rear cans, gutted them, resealed them and refitted. Definitely a 280 or 350 R171. Thought one of you guys might remember it and be able to go straight to it with your superior search skills! :nerd::grin:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.