Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I hope this post is at the correct place.

I discovered that the exhaust pipe on my car ( SLK 250 AMG Sport yr 2013) has dropped below the metal shield level.

therefore, sometime, i can hear noise of scratches when going over the speed bump.

I wonder if the pipe on my car is normal.

I have attached some photos of the underside.

The pipe is rusty bit on the first two photos and the last one shows the joint of the pipe.

Is it too rusty for a three years old car?

Thank you

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I rotated and enlarged your pics for you. :tu:

I can't help with an answer to your question, but perhaps someone else will be along shortly to offer an opinion...

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
Your exhaust is made of metal so will go rusty .
It all depends if you use your car in winter and in the rain with all the salt laid out on the roads it will corrode more so than say a car that is stored in a dry garage and not used in the winter months as an example .

Milage / age and use of car will add to the corrosion extend .

And the ultimate killer is the wet uk roads .

·
Registered 2007 SLK55 AMG
38 Posts
Your exhaust system should be constucted of stainless steel and should not rust within 3 years. I cant comment on UK laws, but in the US the exhaust system is part of the emmisions controls and must be warrented by the manufacturer for 7 years. I suggest you contact MB!

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
Your exhaust system should be constucted of stainless steel and should not rust within 3 years. I cant comment on UK laws, but in the US the exhaust system is part of the emmisions controls and must be warrented by the manufacturer for 7 years. I suggest you contact MB!
Stainless steel ?

Rear maybe of some type of stainless steel / alloy on slk
But front exhaust etc is steel and corrodes like all the many mercedes on the road .

If they were stainless steel they would last 10-20 years .

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
235 Posts
I think the material requirements for exhaust systems is different between the two markets (UK vs US). I'm 95% sure that my SLK has a stainless exhaust system from the manifold connection on back. Heck, even my 1998 Ford F-150 has a stainless exhaust. The paragraph below may offer an explanation - has to do with emissions standards. I recall back in '96 when I was in UK I couldn't believe that they still sold 'Leaded' gas (ours was phased out in 1978, I think). And I still get surprised at the corrosion level when I see the underside of a UK car!

Since about the mid-1990s, plain carbon and low alloy steels have been replaced by stainless steel as the primary material for exhaust systems downstream of the exhaust manifold or turbocharger. This transition has taken place because of market demands for extended warranties, and because of demands mandated by emission standards. Technologies to meet increasingly stringent emission standards can raise exhaust temperatures which makes the task of meeting strength and durability requirements especially challenging. Emission standards also require that exhaust systems are designed in a manner that facilitates leak-free assembly, installation and operation for the full useful life of the vehicle.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
I think the material requirements for exhaust systems is different between the two markets (UK vs US). I'm 95% sure that my SLK has a stainless exhaust system from the manifold connection on back. Heck, even my 1998 Ford F-150 has a stainless exhaust. The paragraph below may offer an explanation - has to do with emissions standards. I recall back in '96 when I was in UK I couldn't believe that they still sold 'Leaded' gas (ours was phased out in 1978, I think). And I still get surprised at the corrosion level when I see the underside of a UK car!

Since about the mid-1990s, plain carbon and low alloy steels have been replaced by stainless steel as the primary material for exhaust systems downstream of the exhaust manifold or turbocharger. This transition has taken place because of market demands for extended warranties, and because of demands mandated by emission standards. Technologies to meet increasingly stringent emission standards can raise exhaust temperatures which makes the task of meeting strength and durability requirements especially challenging. Emission standards also require that exhaust systems are designed in a manner that facilitates leak-free assembly, installation and operation for the full useful life of the vehicle.
Wow i never new the usa had all stainless steel exhaust sytems . :surprise::surprise:

Funny how when you look closer at our slk they differ so much but the same car underneath .

I may order an exhaust sytem for my slk from the states now and last a lifetime.

:grin::grin:

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
In case the original question is still of importance, yes there looks to be something amiss with the pipe. However, more photos are needed to say for sure. Can you get the car on a ramp of any sort and, in good light, take some more from underneath?

The production rear exhaust is all in one piece - the single pipe from the cat joins onto an expansion box using the traditional MB conical clamp (the join in your photo does not make any sense to me), and from the expansion box (assuming your model is not the earlier type without the box which I believe it should be), it branches into two pipes - one to each silencer. The whole is removed in one section, so there is no way the pipes can sag.

It could well be that your system has been removed for whatever reason and badly re-assembled. You will know it has been removed if you look at the hanger hooks - look closely where they hook into the rubber mounts, if the ends of the hooks are not 'flared' then it has been removed - take a photo of a hook and I will tell you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow i never new the usa had all stainless steel exhaust sytems . :surprise::surprise:

Funny how when you look closer at our slk they differ so much but the same car underneath .

I may order an exhaust sytem for my slk from the states now and last a lifetime.

:grin::grin:

I'd go to any quality exhaust shop in the UK and get one made. Main advantages are it is usually cheaper than anything you would by in mild steel from a dealer or kwik-fit etc, it will last a lifer time and you can get the exact note and tail pipe configuration you want.
It's a no brainer really

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
I'd go to any quality exhaust shop in the UK and get one made. Main advantages are it is usually cheaper than anything you would by in mild steel from a dealer or kwik-fit etc, it will last a lifer time and you can get the exact note and tail pipe configuration you want.
It's a no brainer really
Ive purchased stainless steel exhaust before in fact one still on my classic car 20 years going and still good .
But i would not buy one unless

A the car is a keeper long term .
B its a hard to come by part
C a no brainer if its going on a classic car
D on my slk have yet to change one in all the years ive owned them . >:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm thinking of changing mine to get a nicer exhaust note.
I put a Ragazzon quad exit on my previous toy (V6 Alfa Spider) and I have to say it sounded glorious . . .just the thing for b-road frivolities.
Not too loud just let it breath easier

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone,

I contract MB and they will jack it up to have a look.

They want to see which parts they need to order.

I try to take some photos of the underside.

I think SLK should have two cross bars to hole the pipes...and I missed both bars..

I am not sure as I cannot find any underside picture of SLK 250 AMG sport 2013 on google...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In case the original question is still of importance, yes there looks to be something amiss with the pipe. However, more photos are needed to say for sure. Can you get the car on a ramp of any sort and, in good light, take some more from underneath?

The production rear exhaust is all in one piece - the single pipe from the cat joins onto an expansion box using the traditional MB conical clamp (the join in your photo does not make any sense to me), and from the expansion box (assuming your model is not the earlier type without the box which I believe it should be), it branches into two pipes - one to each silencer. The whole is removed in one section, so there is no way the pipes can sag.

It could well be that your system has been removed for whatever reason and badly re-assembled. You will know it has been removed if you look at the hanger hooks - look closely where they hook into the rubber mounts, if the ends of the hooks are not 'flared' then it has been removed - take a photo of a hook and I will tell you.
I think the silver part you refer to is the part 420 on this photo

Attachments

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
OK, your photos are unclear as to where they are taken from.
You have the older style without the centre box. This is different and less stable than the later one that I thought you should have. Check your hooks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.