Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a noise that sounds like an exhaust leak on the left side when I start my 2005 SLK 350 up cold. As it warms up, the sound decreases. It might take 5 minutes or more. I have climbed under the car and examined the exhaust system while the car is making the noise, but I could not feel anywhere where there was exhaust leakage. It seems very solid at all the welded joints and along the exhaust pipe. Could it be internal noise coming from the catalytic converter that goes away as it gets hot? It truly sounds like a exhaust leak, but I suppose some vibration in the cat could mimic that sound.
Any suggestions?

By the way, the left exhaust pipe from the manifold to the cat is flattened top and bottom, were as the right side pipe is round. It does look like the left pipe dragged across something but it appears to have been manufactured that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have owned the car for 2 years. I replaced a noisy idler pulley 2 months ago. The noise from the pulley masked the “exhaust” noise I now hear. Prior to that I didn’t have the noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exhaust Noise- Found Problem

I went under the car again with more clearance this time and found the problem. The weld on the resonator is cracked all the way around. It looks like it could be re-welded once it is removed. The is the passenger front exhaust pipe which attaches to the manifold and has the catalytic converter and resonator.

Has anyone removed this pipe?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts