Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now seriously thinking of releasing a bit more noise from my 172.
Everything I read regarding exhausts seems to point to replacing the centre silencer / resonator and 2 small silencers with an x pipe.
I feel the sound after this mod is too raspy for my liking as I want the same sound I have now but just louder.
My question to all is:
Has anyone replaced just the centre silencer / resonator and left the smaller silencers in place or the other way around and does it make the sound very raspy.
I got a quote today for doing both but have to really decide which to go for before booking in.
Any help will be gratefully received.

·
2,559 Posts
Can’t help you there except to say that the you probably should try removing the small post cat resonators first. I believe the centre resonator and back boxes are more relevant to the depth of tone. Only thing is the pre-resonators are small so not sure how much volume increase if any you will get. You may get some strange droning in ECO4 mode if you use it.

If you don’t and you want to keep depth and ramp up the volume a lot I think you’ll need a back box delete and some flap emulators plugging in. In that scenario you’ll want to keep the central resonator and the two pre-resonators at least to start with. Then if you still want a bit more (which I doubt) think about losing the pre-resonators?? 🤔

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,444 Posts
my 2 cents

you posted in amg but some r172 member might have done what u want to know about but might not venture into amg section

let us know if u want this moved to r172 gen dis

:D

·
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Col, I’ll look into the boxes and flap delete.
Thanks Jeff....if you think it will get more views please move it, thanks

·
2,559 Posts
Thanks Col, I’ll look into the boxes and flap delete.
Thanks Jeff....if you think it will get more views please move it, thanks
The back box delete is the configuration used on the quicksilver exhaust for the R171 55. I have heard these in person, loud and deep. Be great to hear your car if you go ahead with it.

·
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The back box delete is the configuration used on the quicksilver exhaust for the R171 55. I have heard these in person, loud and deep. Be great to hear your car if you go ahead with it.
I have to look at all options but I’ll let you know what I decide to do (y)

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
233 Posts
I'm in a similar situation with my R172 200. I definitely don't want a vulgar raspy sound, but rather a smooth note but not as quiet as it currently is, so I completely understand your dilemma. Interested to learn from what you discover. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts