Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought my SLK 230 (poor little automatic) a few months ago, I noticed that drivers in the area just seem to be a bit more aggressive towards me. I pull up to a light, any light, and all of a sudden the car next to me wants to be in a light to light race! I generally ignore it for about 20 or 30 feet, then I fricken reel them in. I'm not prone to this kind of behavior, but again, I feel I have to uphold the honor of my little SLK! If the aggressor's aren't in the lane beside me, then they're in my trunk, and we all know that with the top down, there isn't much trunk. I guess I just don't get the mentality of it all. If this keeps up I might have to by another newer and more powerful SLK and suppress all the local's until they become demoralized.

Anyone notice this kind of stuff after they got their SLK? (note: been thinking about buying an additional SLK anyway!) I recently inherited a lot of money so buying isn't an issue!

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
If this keeps up I might have to by another newer and more powerful SLK and suppress all the local's until they become demoralized.
I like the way you think! :D

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,142 Posts
Get an SLK 55 AMG. Right MK?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
As chicky said - get used to it... I don't know what's the idea behind this. I guess everybody is just envying that we have a small convertible =) I get cut sometimes but I'm a calm person so I just say - whatever you idiot! I know I can enjoy my top down and smooth cruising =)
Or you can get a 55 as Jeff and drive it like you stole it =) Then you'll see who's going to have their jaws dropped :tu:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Get an SLK 55 AMG. Right MK?
Some days, I'm ready to de-badge mine. Every boy racer I get near wants a piece. Got to play Marty McFly with a Shelby Mustang GT500. C o p parked in a gas station across the intersection...he takes off...and the lights come on. Waved as I drove slowly past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUfh7qrZuXk

Most of the time, I just want to enjoy a drive with the top down. Worst experience was a guy in a beat up pickup truck trying to side swipe me on an interstate. All by myself in the right lane. Had done nothing to provoke him.

·
Registered
844 Posts
As my first Kart instructor told me "run your own race; ignore other karts speed. If they are slower they are just something to go around. If they are faster study their driving technique until you can go around them."

While I loathe street racers, I live close by to a ferry terminal that has a flat staright 4 lane causeway going out to the terminal. There are 2 traffic lights about 3 km apart with no cross roads or residences no pedestrians and the speed limit is 90km between the two lights with traffic typically doing about 100km . The two traffic lights are situated to let traffic from my community, enter the highway without the cost of on-ramps and regulate the flow of traffic from the ferry so even when facing a red light there is no traffic crossing the road; just traffic turning onto the highway. So this is about as safe as a dragstrip and has almost no traffic. The other day I stopped at the light and up pulls a Deuce Coupe. As The light turns green we glanced at each other and the next 6 seconds were a lot of fun. Both of us backed off the throttle when we hit 100kph so very respectful. I will admit that I had to let the Deuce lead a little out of respect for its 72 years age difference!

Gordon

·
Registered
287 Posts
Only when I need to get in another lane and there is a line of A**holes behind us that will never let me over. They sort of expect it from the SLK, but The Bluetec ambushes them. :D

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
560 Posts
Guys and Gals, you have to understand the minds of those who have not and will not gain the privilege of owning a SLK. All they want to do is get in front of you so they can gaze on the awesome lines in their rear vision mirror. The rear of the SLK is good, but the view of the front is much better, hence their reasons to want to be in front of you. Let them get ahead, and then just smile at those who can only dream. :)

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
But surely we should be extolling the virtue of the little SiLK and getting more people to own them.... but that will be frustrating as they wont wave to me once they get one

·
Registered
54 Posts
That has yet to happen to me... although the thought of shaming some idiot who thinks slapping a "Type-R" sticker on their 20 year old Civic somehow makes their car more powerful sounds very, very appealing.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
:flag:its especially b/c a problem since I got the AMG; every doofus in a 'vette or Camaro wants to race...not gonna do that on crowded city streets...but the countryside is another case!

·
94,142 Posts
I particularly like when a car pulls up to me and I know what they have. They rev their engines so before the light changes I say something like:

You want to race me?
Let's see...I have you by 4 cylinders and at least 200 horsepower.
You sure?

Then while they ponder, I'm gone!

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
The place to go fast is on open country roads.....I wouldn't let myself be goaded into a light to light race. SLKs are the most fun >80!

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The place to go fast is on open country roads.....I wouldn't let myself be goaded into a light to light race. SLKs are the most fun >80!
Yes, that's very true, but getting to 80 can be a lot of fun too!

I personally believe that I'd like to look over to someone gunning their engine and say in a low gravelly kind of voice, "I will hurt you, seriously, I will hurt you badly"!

:Banane26:

·
94,142 Posts
get a slightly used one!

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL, why, is yours for sale!!!! :)

I have had 30 new cars (including my current 300S), it's counter intuitive to my nature, the SLK230 was my first used car in 27 years! It may wreak me emotionally.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.