Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Planning a European driving trip now. I came across this site driveeurope.com. is it legit? Anyone tried this company?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

To be honest I've not come across these guys before, but planning your own road trip around Europe isn't too tricky...

I guess for anyone outside of Europe the biggest hurdle will be what car to drive and where to go there are sooo many choices.

Rental wise you can rent everything from a Smartcar to a supercar if your pockets are deep enough. I would give a couple of cautions here regardless of what you decide to rent:
1) If you rent a car in one country certain companies will not allow you to take to other certain countries (eg if you rent a car in Berlin Germany you will NOT be allowed to drive it to and in Poland - only 50km away)
2) One way rental is possible but there will be significant surcharges especially if you drop off in another country - possibly a circular route is the way to go...
3) If you want to include the UK in your drive remember we drive on the LEFT and our steering wheels are on the RIGHT - I think your profile said Hong Kong so you’ll be ok with our way of driving J ...
4) depending on what time of year you rent a car certain countries will have winter tyres as COMPULSARY and some even snow chains, however you will probably have to pay extra for winter tyres and chains on a rental cars these will not be standard even in countries that mandate them (yup strange but true)...

The other challenge I guess is where to go... Well this is entirely up to you there are a significant number of automotive places of pilgrimage in Europe, also there are many of historical and religious significance and of sheer beauty too... this really comes down to the kind of trip you want...

My Girlfriend and I are about to do 2 weeks around Europe we're going to do 3000 miles from Good old Brightly through France and Switzerland down into Italy where we shall spend sometime with friends near Rome and then in Milan - going past some significant Italian Manufactures. Then we off to Vienna via Salzburg and Innsbruck and of course the famous Stelvio Pass :-D. From Vienna we then head over to Munich for a couple of days (there are many German Auto Museums here), before heading back Home via Nurburgring (3 trip this year) and Belgium...

Happy to give you pointers if you can narrow down what sort of experience you'd like to have....

Bon Voyage

Seb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts