Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, along with several other UK members, partners and friends, took a tour of Europe last month. Leaving Scotland and then England behind, it took in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Italy, Austria, Lichtenstein, and Switzerland before heading home again. A 3500 mile trip. Unfortunately, some of the passes we'd looked forward to driving were closed due to heavy snow falls in May and avalanche risks, but we still manages to take in a few.
We had one or two mishaps along the way. I hit a rock on the road following Col down a pass, lucky not to damage the rim, I'd put a finger sized hole in my new nearside front tyre and, after discovering my space saver wouldn't inflate, RussL ran the punctured tyre and rim to a local tyre shop where he managed to get a used tyre fitted which got me back mobile. I then had to return the next day to purchase another new one to match the existing one already on the car. Gary Laird's 170 got rear ended on a slip road which although driveable, meant he couldn't drop the roof anymore. Russ55AMG's wing mirror got clipped by an MX5 coming the other way, though wasn't damaged. RussL's 170 esp played up on some of the more aggressively driven passes and had to be reset several times, and Mabel's power steering pump packed in on the way to Chamonix necessitating her being recovered on a breakdown truck to the nearest Merc dealer 60 kilometres away where she awaits repair.

Our troubles aside, it was an great trip and the company, weather, and scenery couldn't have been better.

I've finally managed to sort through the photos I'd taken on the trip, though not yet started on the 350+ gb of GoPro footage.

Here are pics from a couple of stops on the 11th. The Klaussen Pass pics show how quickly the cloud can roll in and the visibility drop to zero.

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics from the 11th.

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are photos from the 12th.

The first 4 pics were taken at the hotel I was staying in with RussL on the way up to the Stelvio Pass (closed about 4 kilometres from where we stayed). The engine is the bar drink dispenser. The two glasses of lethal looking liquid were given to us by the owner's son as a joke. Virtually undrinkable, it left a foul aftertaste!

The next pics are from the trip over the Timmelsjoch pass. An awesome road! One of the Fraser Nash cars was being driven by an Irish guy who lived just 20 miles from RussL. It really is a small world.

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More photos from the 12th

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photos from the 13th.

Starting with the view from our restaurant at breakfast, RussL and I drove round to the other side of the pass and Col and the other's hotel. It was when Col and I took a run down the pass that Mabel suffered her puncture! Whilst RussL was sorting another tyre for me, I took some photos of the local Marmot population as well as a forlorn looking Mabel on her jack as the spacesaver wasn't inflating. The second and third pics are the view from our digs overlooking Lake Como and the evenings entertainment.

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More from the 13th

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the 14th RussL and I returned to Bormio and Mabel was fitted with her new tyre. We then took another run up the pass and back before heading back for dinner at a restaurant on the side of Lake Como. The thunderstorm that occurred whist we ate left Mabel's paintwork covered in dust.

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the 15th RussL and I took a wee single track road up to Sighignola ( known as the balcony of Italy) and, despite the haze, enjoyed the spectacular views into Switzerland. The last photo was taken in the underground car park where the rest of the group where staying.

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the 16th we all headed up the Gotthard Pass where I wouldn't recommend the burgers from the van. Just ask RussL!!!

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The two Russ's, John, and I then headed off in search of the next pass. We found the Susten Pass, which was closed, but took a fast run up it as far as the Sustenbrugglia restaurant, where the pass barriers were down, and enjoyed a late lunch and the company of the friendly hosts. We then headed for Lake Brienz and Interlaken's paragliders.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,377 Posts
Great pics as always :tu:

BTW, my (current) go-to is Cardhu also :grin:

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 17th we headed to Lauterbrunnen and found some spectacular waterfalls before finding the pass blocked and a helicopter stopped in a layby for coffee. Undeterred, we headed on to Grindelwald and the Eiger.

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More pics from the 17th. The last one is of an unwanted visitor to my hotel room. A wee scorpion on the wall above my bed. I managed to catch it in a glass and gave it some flying lessons from the garden terrace attached to my room. When I told the receptionist, she said she was born there and had never heard of scorpions in Switzerland. Google confirmed it for her.

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited by Moderator)
Have some more from 18th and 19th, but am going to be busy over the next few days so will post them when I get a chance. copies of the originals are available by email if anyone wants a copy for themselves, just mail me at [email protected] with the details off the photo you want.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
258 Posts
It reads like a wonderful trip and some great photos!

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
822 Posts
Hi Davie
Looks like you all had a trip to remember with some great photos to show us all... so we know what was missed!

Let me know if there’s another one planned some time :wink:

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As promised, photos from the rest of the trip...…. these are from the 18th

Attachments

·
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More pics of the stunning scenery from the 18th. The Honda 4 belonging to a German biker we were talking too and was 41 years old but looked brand new. :smile:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts