Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like the open road! First leg was from Eureka to Boise via Redding, Alturas, Lakeview, Burns, Ontario, Boise. Almost all of this is 2-lane driving but still managed 680 miles in 13 hours, excellent road conditions. The road from Lakeview to Burns (395) is much improved, but still a bit rough in places.

Spent a week in Boise, saw one white SLK 230 and one black SLK 230, not able to connect with either owner. Did not see a one on the drive up or back.

The way home was the "short cut" through Christmas Valley and Silver Lake. If you are ever up this way and need to get across Oregon this is one excellent piece of roadway, all 2-lane, very smooth, grand open skies, first class top down driving. And you may see 10-20 cars along the open stretches (have yet to see patrol vehicle). There are several long open stretches where you can see 5-6 miles ahead . . . and you already know there is absolutely no one behind you. And the 230 just loves 3500 RPM in D . . . "gets the carbon out of the carburetor" as my Dad used to say.

Return trip 370 miles in 12 hours via Grants Pass and Crescent City.

I live in Eureka and have family in Boise and this is why I invested in the SLK 230. I make this trip 2-3 times a year and wanted something quiet and fast and top down. The 230 is a true roadster . . . it hungers for those curves and long runs. It is an amazing automobile, one never has to slow down for a curve, it just whips around 'em like they aren't there. (The new tires are excellent . . . the Bridgestone Poenzettaz (sp ???)

Just want to encourage you all . . . drop the top and get out of town every now and again . . . out into the wide open spaces, and "get the carbon out of your carburetor" . . . :biglaugh:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. I love taking my car on road trips, and do so every chance I get. Unfortunately for me, here in Ontario our season is pretty much over.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Hey now Firm I figure we have about 30 days left! Did you see my post on the Niagara - you're not so far. We put 1200km on the car in 7 days (3 of which were in Goderich visiting my 91yo Mom).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey John! No, I didn't see your post, I am just running out right now, but I'll look for it tomorrow....suppose to be a wash out anyway..
I did take mine on a "Niagara Tour" a few weeks ago now, it's not all that far from me though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.