Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving the car with ESP set to sport these past few days.

I'm amazed at how much difference this makes to the feel of the car. It feels like a totally different car - more responsive and better handling, without any scary traction issues at sensible road speeds. I hadn't really realised just how much the ESP was dialing things back before given I wasn't exactly hooning it.

I've tried taking it up a steep, very twisty road and hitting the throttle quite hard and it didn't lose traction - which surprised me given the heavy warning notices in the owners manual.

It could be in my head, but I swear the car sounds better too. I'm wondering if this is due to differences in the ESP's torque management program in Sport mode and/or some influence on the flaps. The transmission also seems to work better when both it and the ESP are in sport mode.

Is this all in my head?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just attended AMG Driving Academy a few weeks ago. Part of the training was on the skid pad. The difference between the three ESP settings was an eye-opener. Quite a nanny when fully on. Tail stays in place and hardly any over-steer. You can force a bit of over-steer in sport mode but it recovers quickly. With ESP fully-off, half of us put the the car into a complete spin the first time. Was pretty happy that I got the hang of the "CPR" (correct/pause/recover) technique and could have spent an extra hour on the skid pad because it was a blast.

If you want to drive "Chris Harris hooligan style" then ESP would need to be fully-off. That said, for daily driving, I leave it on. Sport mode is fun, but, unfortunately, not much opportunity to use it in my area.

Transmission in sport mode changes the shift points (holds a gear to a higher range before up-shift) so you'll exceed the 2000 rpm "15-degree open" threshold and the higher flap-opening position points more often.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that - makes sense.

Transmission in sport mode changes the shift points (holds a gear to a higher range before up-shift) so you'll exceed the 2000 rpm "15-degree open" threshold and the higher flap-opening position points more often.
yeah, I'm used to that in sport auto - but it was the perceived difference when ESP was in auto too that came as a surprise. Probably all in my head, but it sure sounded sweeter to me, and the transmission felt more in-tune with how I wanted to drive when both were in sport.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for that - makes sense.

yeah, I'm used to that in sport auto - but it was the perceived difference when ESP was in auto too that came as a surprise. Probably all in my head, but it sure sounded sweeter to me, and the transmission felt more in-tune with how I wanted to drive when both were in sport.
Well, not sure about sounding sweeter, by definitely a transformation in fun and handling around the peak district. I have so much fun since you pointed out the 'Sport Handling Mode' as opposed to just 'Sport'... all I can say is that my face hurts from smiling so much... thank you! My 55 feels completely balanced now :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts