Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've made an stainless steel aftermarket exhaust system for my SLK 55 AMG. Still have the original primary CAT's though. From that spot on, it's aftermarket. I get the message "ESP not Working" and something related to the tires pressure, some malfunction aswell, after a couple hours cruising (doesn't matter if flat out or soft ride). I go home, turn it off, wait couple minutes, turn it back on, and it vanishes away. Should I be woried?

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
The ESP/ tyre pressure fault is related due to wheel rotation, but of you're getting other error warnings up as well, it may just be a bad/dying battery!
Our Slk's are very tempramental when it comes to their batteries, mine went a bit flat and needed charging, it then started perfectly, but a few miles down the road it started throwing up all sorts of errors. I changed the battery and never had an error again.
You might want to look at getting the battery checked in case you have a bad cell or something...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ESP/ tyre pressure fault is related due to wheel rotation, but of you're getting other error warnings up as well, it may just be a bad/dying battery!
Our Slk's are very tempramental when it comes to their batteries, mine went a bit flat and needed charging, it then started perfectly, but a few miles down the road it started throwing up all sorts of errors. I changed the battery and never had an error again.
You might want to look at getting the battery checked in case you have a bad cell or something...
I have a "bigger" tire, aswell, tbh. Originals are 225/40 front and 245/35 rear. I have 235/40 and 255/35. Would it be the problem also? Or just battery? I had it checked about 2-3months, and the battery guy told me they were fully charged. Well, if I come to think of it, it's been 2-3 months back... They can be decharging already, right?

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Those tyre sizes are all "equivalents", so there shouldn't be a problem there.
Did you change them recently?
I don't have the tyre pressure system activated, but I seem to recall reading that you have to reset it when you replace tyres...
What other errors are you seeing in the MFD?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Hi - i had the same issue on my SLK200 - both ESP and BAS errors, but only after driving for some time ( 10 min or 30 min ), then i stopped and the error would reset.
After i refitted a new battery( with a little more juice ), it stopped. Now the car has hibernated for the winter and i just took it for a spin yesterday - i got the error again. Did a long run and got the battery recharged - and now the error is gone. ( have also checked the car at a dealers place and he didn't find anything wrong, only charging me for removing the errors in the display.....(ha - money down the drain )....... So i agree on the sensitive part on SLK's not liking any major changes in battery capacity.

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,663 Posts
When fitting the exhaust did you touch by mistake the abs sensors on the rear/front wheel. You need a das/xentry machine to read the error and take it from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi - i had the same issue on my SLK200 - both ESP and BAS errors, but only after driving for some time ( 10 min or 30 min ), then i stopped and the error would reset.
After i refitted a new battery( with a little more juice ), it stopped. Now the car has hibernated for the winter and i just took it for a spin yesterday - i got the error again. Did a long run and got the battery recharged - and now the error is gone. ( have also checked the car at a dealers place and he didn't find anything wrong, only charging me for removing the errors in the display.....(ha - money down the drain )....... So i agree on the sensitive part on SLK's not liking any major changes in battery capacity.
Probably that's the problem. It keeps poping on on the screen, and gets me nervous every time. After all we never know when things are going to be for real.. Thanks for sharing the experience man.

When fitting the exhaust did you touch by mistake the abs sensors on the rear/front wheel. You need a das/xentry machine to read the error and take it from there.
Nah, we were with both eyes on the exhaust job. Neither the ABS sensors nor the lambda plug that goes out of the engine (that could cause some sort of trouble) were touched. Thanks anyways!

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,259 Posts
Did you alreadt try Curro's suggestion? After changing tires you need to reset the tire pressure warning system. What you really do is taking the rotation speed of the new tires as the new reference. If you didn't do that then that might be the cause of the error. Disconnecting/connecting the battery also causes a reset,but resetting it according the procedure in the manual is easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.