Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 slk230 everyday when cold I start car and put in drive when going thru the gears the car hesitates, shifts erratically. and acts as if its going to stop. When I shift thru the gears the next time I take off it is fine. Only does it once when cold and that's it.
Have no idea what it may be so any help can get me going in right direction is appreciated
99slk230k 147000 miles automatic.
Thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,444 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Red55

Maybe I can shed some light on this issue because I've owned a 98, 99 and now a 01 SLK 230K. From my experience with all the SLK's I've owned, including my 99 SLK 230K, when you drive the car immediately after starting the car with a cold engine, the car will tend to hold gears longer than usual and shift rougher than normal. This is completely normal, because the car's computer is doing what's necessary to get the engine and I think the transmission warmed up and running efficiently.

However, if it continues to shift erratically once the car is up to operating temperature (i.e. rough shifting, holding gears, not shifting out of gears) then have the transmission looked at by a mechanic. But from my experience with these cars, the transmissions hardly have any SERIOUS malfunctions because usually if there is a problem they can protect themselves by going into limp home mode before it escalates into transmission failure.

Lastly if you want piece of mind, look into have the transmission fluid checked, or changed.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
602 Posts
My 99 230k did the same thing and my new to me 2005 280 does it as well its just a tract of the car warming up. Lots of automatic cars seem to do it my Volvo S80 and my wifes Citroen Picasso do the same thing.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since I got the first message to warm it up first I have been doing that and its fine. Thanks
Hi Redd,

If you drive the car right away after a cold start, the engine will reach its operating temperature much faster. Its good to let the car "warm up" or idle for 30 seconds to 1 minute so that the RPM's stabilize a bit. However, just sitting stationary and letting the car idle from a cold start wastes gas and causes more wear and tear on the engine. Its best to drive with a "light foot" or slowly until the car reaches its operating temperature. The transmission will shift awkwardly in the first few minutes, then it will resume its regular shifting habits.

Its a controversial subject, however most fuel injected cars don't need to warm up by setting idle.

Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.