Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tryed to change the center link on my r170 320 but after beating on the ball joints with big hammer for what seemed like too long and still not getting them off,, I decided to tighten it all back up and I'll be taking it in to the shop next week for them to do the replacement. ($210 + $89 for alignment)
It just makes me mad when I find I can't do something as simple as replacing the link. :frown::crying:

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,135 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm sure MB makes a special tool for the job, which probably costs more than just taking it somewhere. I can't picture what your doing in my mind, but maybe you need some type of separator like an old fashioned pickle fork or ball joint separator.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure MB makes a special tool for the job, which probably costs more than just taking it somewhere. I can't picture what your doing in my mind, but maybe you need some type of separator like an old fashioned pickle fork or ball joint separator.
Yes that's the tool. Ball joint separator.looks like a fork. But I'll tell you this,,, those things are really in there. I probably could have gotten the ends off with a little more pounding but the knuckle on the steering arm was too risky.
So I'll let them do it.

Reactions: Idiot101

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,672 Posts
We've all gone through something like that at one point. It's better to try and fail than to never try at all.
After years of playing with bikes, this is THE reason that I'm reluctant to play with the slk too much.
I understand what's needed, but it doesn't always turn out.

Like the MAF sensor.
Swatted, watched and read all that I could.
Then found that it wasn't where I expected because it got moved on the final run of R170s.
Easier to spot, but a sod and a half to get at because of the location of the screws.
Took it to an Indy only to find it wasn't the MAF but sticky injector valves.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think they make a pneumatic tool but caution would certainly be prudent as you might do more damage than good.

As for sticky injectors, I use injector cleaner religiously in my cars but ultimately it may just be snake oil. I've never had an injector problem though...

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,672 Posts
I've gone back to the same system as the bikes.

Every fourth fill use vpower or similar.

We'll see how that goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.