Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I am so happy to be a new member of the forum!

I just picked up my new (to me) 2005 350 from the dealer yesterday. Today I took it out to enjoy the warm (for January) SF Bay Area weather. We opened the hood and with the headlights on, noticed that on each side a little behind the headlight assembly there was a long black wire with a small round light on the end just hanging down. For the picture below, we pulled the wire up to see the light.

All of the lights seem to be working--so I cant figure out where these came from. The dealer as part of the prep replaced the grill, so I am thinking these lights may have been disconnected and never put back in place.

What are these mystery lights? Where do they belong? Thanks for any help you can give me! -marabella

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld marabella!

I don't have an answer for your question as I own an R170. I just wanted to welcome you.

Someone will be along to enLIGHTen you...clever. :tu:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts
agree with gabus. that very well looks like the side marker light bulb. do your amber front bumper side markers come on with the headlights? since you say all lights appear on, maybe it is the parking light. have you a manual? they show where the parking lights attach to front headlight assembly and side markers too.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well, I have an R 171, as you do. I can't tell from the pics where the lights should be, but try your low and high beams, your fog lights, and your turn indicators, and see what isn't working. I suspect that it will be your front side marker lights. All this failing, I'd take the car back to the dealer and ask them.

Oh, BTW, welcome to this forum. We have a lot of fun here!:)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,395 Posts
Those belong to the front side markers found on US spec front bumper cover. Do you have have the orange front side markers on your bumper (in front of the front wheel well)? Some of us have changed out the orange for clear side markers (see photo of signature, just above the front slits).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks-you are all brilliant!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the quick and thoughtful replies. You are all right...they are for the side markers. I didn't realize they weren't coming on with the headlights until y'all pointed them out.

I just replaced my E320 with the SLK and I am sure I'll be back here posting often as I discover all the details and joys of the car.
R)Marabella

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.