Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're half way through our trip to California and Nevada. Wife, 3 daughters and even Grandma :surprise:, driving a Chevy Suburban which is a tad bigger than the SLK :laugh:. Done LA, now in San Francisco, then heading through the Sierra Nevadas and Death Valley to Vegas. Having a great time - you guys across the pond have a spectacular country :tu:

·
Registered 1999 slk230-sold
15,046 Posts
Dave, how can you handle all them Betty,s in the car? The Chevy is not that big. Next time you do a trip like that rent an SLK as a lead car and them Ladies can follow.:grin::grin:

Make sure when you get to Vegas to stop at the racetrack and do some laps in the AMG GTS 5 Laps are only $ 249.00 here is the link. After driving the Burp for so long I think you deserve an AMG for a while.

http://www.exoticsracing.com/

or you can rent an AMG from those guys for the day for $99.00 if you need some quiet time.:wink:

https://www.gothamdreamcars.com/exotic-car-rental/las-vegas/mercedes-benz-sl63-amg

·
Super Moderator 06 SLK 280
10,494 Posts
We're half way through our trip to California and Nevada. Wife, 3 daughters and even Grandma :surprise:, driving a Chevy Suburban which is a tad bigger than the SLK :laugh:. Done LA, now in San Francisco, then heading through the Sierra Nevadas and Death Valley to Vegas. Having a great time - you guys across the pond have a spectacular country :tu:

You're missing the best part of California. You need to head north up Hwy 101

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
One thing I remember about living in the Nevada Arizona New Mexico area is fried bread. In New Mexico it was Navajo (Native American Tribe) Fried Bread. Wherever you end up they may have some variant-I suggest you try some!

If time allows, research Carlsbad Caverns New Mexico and see if that's something that would interest you. Whatever you do, stay safe and enjoy the land of the free, the home of the brave!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic trip Dave!

Back before I had children, my (now) wife and I drove 3,500 miles in 3 weeks (actually, I drove all 3,500 miles of it!)... San Francisco, Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, through Yosemite, Las Vegas, LA, San Simeon/Carmel/Monterey (using 1/101 Pacific Highway), and back to San Francisco for a few days. A fabulous trip, that I still remember today, about 25 years later!

Make the most of your trip Dave, and enjoy! You're making something quite precious with your family right now... Memories! :tu:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,465 Posts
If you reach Sacramento give me a call & I can give you some ideas on what to do maybe have lunch?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you reach Sacramento give me a call & I can give you some ideas on what to do maybe have lunch?
Thanks for the offer Don, we're doing the Golden Gate Bridge visitor centre and Cable Car museum today. Then heading off to the mountains tomorrow. Happy the passes are open at last. We're doing Tioga.

One strange thing we haven't bumped into any other English families so far. We feel a bit of a celebrity family, when our accent is heard people want a chat. It's great. .:laugh:

Only seen 5 SLKs so far.

·
11,465 Posts

·
11,465 Posts
Make sure you go to Mount Tamalpais just north of San Francisco awesome views & great Restaurant right at the top of the mountain.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG
363 Posts
Have a great time Dave ! The best thing our family did in Vegas was go to the Pinball Museum. It's off the main drag, but easy to find.You can play on all the machines. It's free to get in. And you buy a margarine tub of quarters each, which keeps you going all afternoon. Fantastic !!!!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
One strange thing we haven't bumped into any other English families so far. We feel a bit of a celebrity family, when our accent is heard people want a chat. It's great. .
Welcome to my world. My spouse is from Southern Europe but to many folks here in the SE US it may as well be another plant. I hope our fellow US citizens treat you with dignity and respect. Enjoy your time mate!

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to my world. My spouse is from Southern Europe but to many folks here in the SE US it may as well be another plant. I hope our fellow US citizens treat you with dignity and respect. Enjoy your time mate!
Thanks, been superb so far.

There are some great people in the UK. But our experience is that you guys from the States are more friendly and helpful than back home.

One great thing on the road, is letting you turn right against a red light if safe to do so. We're not trusted to do it in blighty! One weird thing, haven't seen one roundabout :laugh:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
We have roundabouts but they are usually small and part of relatively simple highway configurations. As for turning right on red-it isn't legal in every situation so watch the signs!

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our paths may merge today. We are going to Tonopah NV today via Hwy 395 to 120 east to 6 to 95, Tomorrow Zion nat'l Park Then to Santa Fe NM.
Didn't see one SLK all day! Hope you had a good trip. Yosemite Park was amazing. Long day driving though. We're staying at the Village at Mammoth Lakes for a couple of nights. Having a good steak and a beer :laugh:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Seems like most of our SLKs are on the east and west coast, CA, FL, NY, NJ. I would be intrested in seeing some numbers.

Are you driving across the US? To the East coast perhaps?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts