Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay last question for a while. Keep having this noise that can sometimes be intermittent. Sometimes in traffic it will disappear for a few seconds and as soon as I hit the gas again it'll come back. Inspecting under the hood it seems like it's coming from the front case of the supercharger, so I'm thinking bearings?

For your convenience, I've uploaded a video. Sorry it's sideways, I give up on technology :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1MfHgBM2rA

You can hear it, sounds like a grinding noise. Anyone have something similar?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,411 Posts
that sounds like one of your vbelt pulleys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks like it's leaking oil from the supercharger?, I would check the oil level in the supercharger add as needed/change, clean everything/ pressure wash it, might be getting oil on the belts, which I would go ahead and change and check your pulleys (spin them) with the belts off and check for noise and or ruff spinning, idler pulleys can be lubed with wd-40. :burnout: -Rick

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you look at the wheeler dealers video where they "repair " an SLK he uses a long stethoscope to listen where the noise is coming from but you can use a long piece of wood or screwdriver if you carefully put it against your ear

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys haven't been able to get out to look at this stuff yet. I'm going to get on it tomorrow and let you know what I find!

·
Registered
83 Posts
sounds like belt pulley for sure. supercharger is more of a rattle sound then a squeak. while your at it clean off the mag cam adjuster too. seal it up if its leaking!!! looks like it may be.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Doesn't sound like a supercharger to me.
But you Camshaft Sensor needs to be replaced and new sealing compound needs to be applied! Yours is leaking badly... It may cause some serious damage according to MB bulletin. The sensor is about $50 and sealing compound is around $10. 30 min job including removal and cleaning of the area. :tu:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jayson can you show me which sensor you're looking at? Repair manual says the cam sensor is on the top of supercharger case, just want to make sure. You are right though, something is leaking, and the noise isn't the supercharger. I checked the power steering fluid and it needed to be topped up, but didn't stop the noise. Which I still can't pinpoint, it's somewhere near the engine head by the power steering pump, but even with the stethoscope I wasn't getting it. And both belts are pretty new, maybe a year old? Belt dressing didn't do a thing. I need to go at it again.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Jayson can you show me which sensor you're looking at? Repair manual says the cam sensor is on the top of supercharger case, just want to make sure. You are right though, something is leaking, and the noise isn't the supercharger. I checked the power steering fluid and it needed to be topped up, but didn't stop the noise. Which I still can't pinpoint, it's somewhere near the engine head by the power steering pump, but even with the stethoscope I wasn't getting it. And both belts are pretty new, maybe a year old? Belt dressing didn't do a thing. I need to go at it again.
Can't help with the noise =(

But here's the picture of the Camshaft Solenoid:
It's that big round sensor on the right.
And here's info about part and a good PDF DIY:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/34100-i-wonder-where-all-gunk-coming.html#post357432

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jayson. I'm getting the parts together for that, and it looks like the noise at idle is a common symptom of the sensor leaking. I'll update when I do that and see if it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.