Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My paper work from the dealer regarding my new to me 2001 SLK 320 states that MB service has been using Mobil 1 M 5W-40. I know a few here have mention 0W-40. Does this mean I can use either one?

I purchased the SLK while home in FL and now in MD for a few months. I would guess the 0W-40 maybe better for the winter months.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hi All,
My paper work from the dealer regarding my new to me 2001 SLK 320 states that MB service has been using Mobil 1 M 5W-40. I know a few here have mention 0W-40. Does this mean I can use either one?

I purchased the SLK while home in FL and now in MD for a few months. I would guess the 0W-40 maybe better for the winter months.

Any suggestions?
Not near cold enough here bro, but there is hardly any difference any way. I use 0-40 in mine because I bought it out of Colorado and I just like to keep the oil grade the same ( I live in Alabama). If you look at a recommended oil grade chart in an owners manual they all run about the same temperature ranges, some for colder climates like 0-40 and 5-40. Since you are moving to a colder climate then I would do the 0-40:wink:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,187 Posts

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,196 Posts
Don't sound like that year has a very good owners manual, oh well I guess this site will be it from now on:wink:
Mine doesn't either (from what I can recall--book is in car and she's covered for the winter). Just gives a range of 4 (5?) diff "blends" ( but all are synthetic). All 4 are appropriate for my locale.

I guessed at 0/40 because of most comments here. I'll find out at the next change which one is used (or I'll tell them to go with 0/40).

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mine doesn't either (from what I can recall--book is in car and she's covered for the winter). Just gives a range of 4 (5?) diff "blends" ( but all are synthetic). All 4 are appropriate for my locale.

I guessed at 0/40 because of most comments here. I'll find out at the next change which one is used (or I'll tell them to go with 0/40).
Definitely up there in Canada for sure, probably already has 0-40 in it. I probably should run 5-40 in mine being in warmer climate but it had 0-40 when I bought it and thats what I'm keeping in it. Not much difference between the two its just the 0-40 has a better startup viscosity for the cold.

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
here in the relatively tropical UK

well, compared to your Canadian type weather, I have been using Costco's Chevron 5w30 Fully-Synthetic in my petrol-engined MB's for years, even in my SL for a while, with no problems whatsoever. The SL does prefer a 10w40 or 15w40 , as the only noticeable difference is that when hot and idling, the oil pressure will show at about 2.5 bar on the synthetic. On the mineral 10w40, it idles at, or very near, the full 3bar. .

I have driven the best part of a hundred thousand miles on this oil, in 4 cars, a C280, S320, 500 SL and SLK320. it has saved me a fortune on Mobil 1. I'll bet I could use it in my diesel E320CDi as well if I looked it up. At today's prices it's £2.20 a litre. Costing that little, you could run it through your horse and put it on your roses.>:D

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,196 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I usually buy the 5 quart size of Mobil 1 0W40 from Walmart for roughly $25 USD.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
I like to use the Mobil 1 0W40 as that is the European formula which is supposed to be made from esters. I have excellent oil analyst tests using it in my previous SLK230

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.