Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2007 slk350 with 55,ooo miles. I have noticed engine oil residue on the front of the engine, driver side. It is in the area of the power steering pump but it is engine oil. Valve cover gasket is ok and cam sensor are not leaking. Any ideas what could be a suspect in the area (front driver side of the engine) that is common for these M272 engines? thanks

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
I got a 2007 slk350 with 55,ooo miles. I have noticed engine oil residue on the front of the engine, driver side. It is in the area of the power steering pump but it is engine oil. Valve cover gasket is ok and cam sensor are not leaking. Any ideas what could be a suspect in the area (front driver side of the engine) that is common for these M272 engines? thanks
Clean the area thoroughly with Brake Clean and then every time you drive it check carefully for the first signs of the wet oil. Oil filter canister is in that general area - have you determined it is not coming from it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, visual check for the oil filter housing do not show any sign of oil leaks. I will be changing all o-rings for the cam / solenoid sensors regardless. I know it is not power steering fluid but the power steering pump which is under the power steering reservoir is saturated with engine oil too!

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have replaced the oil separator in the back of the engine, Upper right hand side circular shape. Is there another one in front of the engine that might look like a triangler shape? My engine oil leak is coming from the front.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read about this triangular shape oil separator but can not find it. Where is it located at on the M272 engine? I hope it is on the front L/H side of the engine to be a suspect!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the oil separator located front top of engine and it was not leaking oil at all so I left it as is. The breather was leaking but I replaced it. The breather is in the back of the engine so it is not the source of oil leak. I ran out of engine components to check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you end up finding where is leaking from? I have the same problem for my 2005 slk350 also. And the oil leak is not bad at all. But really wants to know what could of cost it and how to fix it.

Thankz

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
Did you end up finding where is leaking from? I have the same problem for my 2005 slk350 also. And the oil leak is not bad at all. But really wants to know what could of cost it and how to fix it.

Thankz
who you asking?

:D

this thread is 3 years old

use the 'quote' button at the bottom of any post you wish to reference, reply to or ask a question of

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.