Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am going to do an oil change and brake job very soon.

A) How many quarts should I buy for my SLK280? If you can also post info for the 350 and 55amg, that would be awesome, as it would serve as reference for others.

As for the brake fluid, I have gone through many posts but I still have the following question. B)I understand, the only brake fluid approved by MB is Mobil Brake Fluid DOT 4 Plus, but where can I get this? C) is there an alternative I can buy at a partstore, walmart, amazon etc? D) Lastly, how much do I buy to completely drain the fluid and refill?

Thanks in advance everyone

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,420 Posts
All Models 171
Capacity
Oil 8.5 qt us
brake 0.5 qt us dot 4+

If you have an owners manual check near the back under Technical data you will this type of information. If you do not have a manual you can download it from MBUSA.com.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Good plan. I have done the oil in my 280 several times, but never the Brake Fluid. Manual says 8.5 Quarts for the M272 Engine (280 & 350), but I have never been able to get more than 7.5 out using ramps. I will try it next time with a MityVac and see if I can get more.

Here is a link to all of the fluids -

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/9511/?requestedDocId=9511

You may already have it but it is a good reference for others. StarTekInfo is a great site.

Best Wishes,
Gene

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
All Models 171
Capacity
Oil 8.5 qt us
brake 0.5 qt us dot 4+

If you have an owners manual check near the back under Technical data you will this type of information. If you do not have a manual you can download it from MBUSA.com.

for conversion that's 8 litres (and a tiny bit that I don't worry about) of oil.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Good plan. I have done the oil in my 280 several times, but never the Brake Fluid. Manual says 8.5 Quarts for the M272 Engine (280 & 350), but I have never been able to get more than 7.5 out using ramps. I will try it next time with a MityVac and see if I can get more.

You may already have it but it is a good reference for others. StarTekInfo is a great site.

Best Wishes,
Gene
Don't forget there may be about 0.5 quart in the oil filter.

Prolly best to fill with 8 quarts and run the engine until warm and check oil on level ground and fill in with some more engine oil as needed, to get to the acceptable engine oil level without overfilling.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
I poured a liter of cheap stuff down the filter galley when I changed mine to get a bit more of the sludge/crap out. It did come out dirty, but I doubt if it made an "impact".

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts

Best Wishes,
Gene
Gene, the ramps cause the oil to go to the rear of the pan and that's the main reason for the 7.5 qts vs 8.5(I learned this the first time I changed the oil :(). Now, I use a hand siphon/pump(from Harbor Freight), with a tube inserted into the pan through dipstick tube, to get the last qt of oil out of the pan. I could use the pump to remove all the oil, but it's faster draining, then pumping(besides, getting under the car lets me look at "stuff").

Also, this link has all the latest info on MB fluids; Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Overview Sheets .

Another "also"; there is a 2.1 qt "range" marked on the dipstick, MAX to MIN/Add. Since the engine "takes" 8.5 qts. 7.5 would be in the middle of that range, so it shouldn't be a problem.
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the awesome info thus far!

Still wondering though .... where can I get Mobil Brake Fluid DOT 4 Plus or an alternative I can buy at a partstore, walmart, or amazon etc?

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts

Still wondering though .... where can I get Mobil Brake Fluid DOT 4 Plus or an alternative I can buy at a partstore, walmart, or amazon etc?
You can get it from MB dealersship; alternative DOT4 is available at Walmart, Napa, Canadian Tire etc. I have not seen a lot of argument that an alternative will be a problem. Anyone else?

G.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts

I use Pentosin Super DOT4. I bought it from a local "international parts" store, but it is available online(I think I saw it listed as being on Amazon.). I try to buy as many "parts" as possible from local stores because they employ local people and pay local taxes, which helps us all. If I can't get a product local for a competitive price(read, not necessarily equal, but close), then I go to an online source.

Reactions: etyu

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,064 Posts
I know I'm late to the dance here but I have been looking for compatible brake fluid that I can buy locally (rather than the long drive to the dealership). The MB schedule for Brake Fluid in my car is 331.0, but unlike other MB schedules it does not include a list of suppliers -- instead it lists just the MB part numbers for brake fluid (sigh).

Upon further research I found the following page on Pentosin's web site which matches the MB part #'s:

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_SuperDot_4.pdf

I will purchase 2L from the local parts store and use it in my brake flush today!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,064 Posts
More information -- bought the fluid, but it does not mention MB 331.0 anywhere on the can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.