Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear SLk R710 owners:)

Hi I just picked up a 1998 230 SLK, and it seems decent, but there is just this
noise I would like to learn more about it, and see if this is also happening to other SLK owner and possible fix.

When starting the cold engine, there is some brief slight rattle from the hydraulic valve lifters, which soon disappears. After that, the engine runs nice and smooth.

After driving 10 to 15 Miles, to warm up the engine completely, this slight clacking sound appears in idle. It reminds me of some VERY subdued dieseling.

When increasing the engine RPM above 1200, the noise disappears or becomes inaudible.

The sound can only be heard from outside the car. Acceleration and overall engine performance remain normal.

Initially, I assumed that a vibrating heat shield between engine and battery compartment could be the culprit, but it wasn't.

I would highly appreciate any help with this issue.

Cheers

Leo

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,413 Posts
pretty sure 230s all act that way until they warm up. do a search if you haven't

·
Registered
274 Posts
mine doesent. I have a friend with a 2001 200k that has a strange noise that has been diagnosed as something to do with the vetch cant remember what exactly tho

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Mine sounded like that. Bad knocking sound like a diesel truck. I thought I blew the motor.
It turned out to be the Tension pulley Shock had lost the rubber seal.

Easy fix.
Pull the belts.
take off old shock. (front right of motor if you are looking at it from front of car.)
Put new one on, belts on.

Around $50 on Ebay.

FYI...I had to get a hose and put one end to my ear and other end to parts of the motor till I could figure exactly where the sound was coming from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hooray !!! Thanks man!!!!!!

Sorry, I may have missed some information, as mine is the Kompressor model, so I was try to locate the belt tensioner shock, but was unable to find it.

Does the Kompressor model use a shock type style belt tensioner?

Cheers

Leo

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine sounded like that. Bad knocking sound like a diesel truck. I thought I blew the motor.
It turned out to be the Tension pulley Shock had lost the rubber seal.

Easy fix.
Pull the belts.
take off old shock. (front right of motor if you are looking at it from front of car.)
Put new one on, belts on.

Around $50 on Ebay.

FYI...I had to get a hose and put one end to my ear and other end to parts of the motor till I could figure exactly where the sound was coming from.

Same thing happened to me last month, but mine has an additional squeaking sound whenever you turn the air con for the first time in the morning. After changing it, no more squeaking or knocking sound. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The more I looked into it, and realize that some engine has a shock attached to the belt tensioner , and some don't.

May I ask, if the one have the shock attached to it, is it to the right side of the engine (front looking) just next to the oil filter?

Would there be another one for the s/c belt?

Cheers

Leo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally, the mystery is solved. for some reason the bolt that was there to hold the s/c clutch plate went missing. that why i was wondering i could not locate the 8mm bolt that everyone was talking about. The clutch plate was just sitting there!

So now i need to go and find a right bolt for. Finger crossed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.