Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I can't wait to show you guys what shape the old mount is in... Looked "fine" from below at a glance. After the first attempt I had even put it right back in place and planned on driving it to a shop to have somebody else work on it. Today I went ahead and turned it over since it was leaking oil. The top half fell out! The rubber is completely separated. For those of you wondering what a "bad" mount looks like, it looks fine. You will know it is bad if you can feel the vibrations. I felt it the most in the accelerator pedal and shift knob. This wasn't a violent shaking of the whole car, just a rumble/vibration. Needless to say, I won't be driving it anywhere until this job gets done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't wait to show you guys what shape the old mount is in... Looked "fine" from below at a glance. After the first attempt I had even put it right back in place and planned on driving it to a shop to have somebody else work on it. Today I went ahead and turned it over since it was leaking oil. The top half fell out! The rubber is completely separated. For those of you wondering what a "bad" mount looks like, it looks fine. You will know it is bad if you can feel the vibrations. I felt it the most in the accelerator pedal and shift knob. This wasn't a violent shaking of the whole car, just a rumble/vibration. Needless to say, I won't be driving it anywhere until this job gets done.
My mounts were shot too. Drivers side mount was in two pieces. I was surprised I was only feeling a little vibration.

BTW, if it has not been mentioned already, the passenger side mount will come out and go in VERY easily if you simply remove the altenator which only takes a few minutes and you only need to jack up the engine about 2 inches. The passenger side is very easy. The drivers side is where I ran into issues. I thought the A/C compressor was going to need to be removed. Then I hired this mechanic and he was able to get both mounts done in a couple hours simply by jacking up the engine. He didn't remove anything. I didn't hover over and watch him the whole time so unfortunately I can't offer any details but I am 100% confident it can be done that way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
slk320 motor mounts experience

I posted this on an old tread before I saw this one, and my experience is that that ac compressor had to be unbolted and moved forward as far as the hoses will allow, and it was still very tight to remove the drivers side mount toward the front where the ac unit sat.
Perhaps the engine can be jacked up enough with both mounts loose, I mounted the new one on the passenger side completely before I tried the drivers side mount. I had the car on ramps and a small floor jack and blocks on the engine, so it was a long way up to the pan and kind of unstable, I was afraid it would twist and fall if I went any higher with both mounts loose. If your mechanic had a lift and a good transmission jack, that would be a lot safer.
Since you're at where you're at on this project, it's your call how to proceed, but it won't come out as you've discovered unless you make more room.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
627 Posts

Hi Sporkpireateib, did you solve this problem?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
627 Posts
I caved and let and indie shop do the driver's side mount.

So did I, a month or so ago. I had the new mounts for about a year but it all looked a bit hard doing it in a carport on ramps/jacks/etc, especially after all the threads I'd read. Indie did both sides, and replaced the oil in the diff. Idling is much smoother, and diff whine is significantly reduced. It's only the second time it's been in a workshop in the 8 years I've had my SLK. But a good move, I think.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.