Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine Management Warning Light R170
R170 02 SLK 230 K

Have made a search but could not find much on my issue. The warning light has illuminated twice recently and been reset after investigation by the garage and no fault found.

Both times it activated was on hot days- ? It is on again. The car continues to run perfectly.

The only thing I can ID is the exhaust which to me is a little noisy as if the baffles are not as effective as they could be. I guess that it may well be the original exhaust.

The garage I use is an independent but sells and services sports cars of all makes. They were unable to find anything wrong.

Anyone experience of this problem ?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
moving out of diy. diy is for established diys. moving to r170 general discussion

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had this light come on in my car aswell. It wsa the catalytic converter which caused mine to come on and after having a cat fooler installed it went away for awhile and came back, went to have it reset and it came back....6 months on and the car still goes smooth so i have learnt to ignore the light untill i get the equipment to reset the light myself lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well got it sorted - it was the CO2 sensor in the exhaust. Hope that is the end of it. Interesting - just ignore it as indeed some of the 98 models did not have the engine / warning cluster, I think they would still have had the CO2 sensor.

Happy motoring !

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well got it sorted - it was the CO2 sensor in the exhaust. Hope that is the end of it. Interesting - just ignore it as indeed some of the 98 models did not have the engine / warning cluster, I think they would still have had the CO2 sensor.

Happy motoring !
I have the same problem, been in the bodyshop for a few months and now has the engine management light on.. How much was the sensor to sort out?

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Before you start to replace parts i would pull the codes and go from there, just because the light came on doesn't mean its the 02 sensor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Issues

Pull the cam magnet plug off and see if it is oily, dead centre top of engine. You may need to instal and check;-

the camshaft adjuster magnet
the pigtail wiring harness adapter
orange sealant for the magnet installation

brake clean will clean the harness connectors or the worse case will be that a
new wiring harness will be required, you may need to check if the oil has
reached the me control unit, as permanent damage could occur, we have cleaned
this control unit before with brake clean , but make sure it dries (and turn
upside down to drain over 48hours if oil is in it) thougurly

Oil within the cable may contribute to the problem and activate the ECU light.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,419 Posts
Pull the cam magnet plug off and see if it is oily, dead centre top of engine. You may need to instal and check;-

the camshaft adjuster magnet
the pigtail wiring harness adapter
orange sealant for the magnet installation

brake clean will clean the harness connectors or the worse case will be that a
new wiring harness will be required, you may need to check if the oil has
reached the me control unit, as permanent damage could occur, we have cleaned
this control unit before with brake clean , but make sure it dries (and turn
upside down to drain over 48hours if oil is in it) thougurly

Oil within the cable may contribute to the problem and activate the ECU light.

In the USA this might be done by a MB dealer at no cost as some are covered under a recall. If you are in the USA I would check with a dealer, recall was started in December 2009. Do search for Cam adjuster for more info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.