Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 slk230 and every once in a while, usually after driving for 30 minutes, the car will die, even if I am driving and not arriiving at a stop etc.
All the dash lights come on. The yellow low fuel also is on even if I have a 1/2 tank of gas. The engine turns over, in fact it is like it sticks turning the engine over if I take my hand off the key. I wait aprox. 30 minutes and it starts like nothing happened. I have read about the crankshaft position sensor and someone said it sounded like the fuel pump gets hot and after it cools off it starts pumping again. Great performance except when it wont start? I just joined so I hope this is posted at the right place. Also any help on the location of the cps would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help provided.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,233 Posts
moving off of homepage news to the r170 general discussion section

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,233 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
By any chance is the engine cooling fan running on high during the "no start"?

·
Registered
393 Posts
. . . after driving for 30 minutes, the car will die, even if I am driving and not arriiving at a stop etc. . . . .
Other than the last part, it sounds exactly like a crank position sensor over heating failure . . . I had one! Of course I have a different engine, so it might not be as applicable. The question about the last part is only, does the sensor get hot enough to quit. Doesn't really matter if you are driving or idling. It only happens after a longer period if it's cooler. (And not at all if it's cold enough and you keep the air moving past the sensor.)

I don't remember if a code shows up for that, but I think it does. Listening to the mechanics, it sounded like it showed as an over-temp before it died.

I think you'll need to get the codes pulled from the car. Getting stranded like that can be a real pain!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pull the K40 and check the solder joints. I had the exact same problem and even had the exact same thought about the fuel system getting to hot. I fixed it with re-soldering my K40 and haven't had one problem since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replacing the K40 might be expensive. Pull it and look at the solder joints, it is an easy fix if you know what you are doing and if not a hobby shop or a friend can do the repair. The cost should be less than $5 if you have to buy solder and FREE if you don't. I would do this first as it is super easy and will save you cost and time of having to replace the crank sensor, if the K40 is the culprit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.